Menu

who do you use for auto insurance?

We have been with the same company for 12 yrs and are looking at changing since ds will be getting a car Wednesday. He just needs liability, but we would love to get full coverage..since it is a nice car. Our current company wants $1800 every 6months!:svengo:

We called Progressive and they quoted higher than Allstate..our current company.

We used Progressive for 10 years but when we moved, we found out we could get a discount through Farmers if both our auto and home were with them. We also get other discounts that have greatly lowered our insurance.

The make of the car has a lot to do with insurance. For instance, Toyotas will cost more than Fords because their parts are more expensive. The number of miles you drive per day also affects the coverage fees, as well as age, accidents, and number of airbags. There are many others that make a difference. Through Farmers, we get lower rates for automatic debit from our checking each month. That one was 10% off. Couldn't refuse that!

Good luck finding something cheaper!

We have had State Farm for 20 years or so, and they gave us very reasonable quotes for when we add our teen dd to our policies. Some of that is because we have been with them so long, I think. However, they mentioned a good-driver discount that will apply as long as she doesn't get a traffic ticket, discount for her GPA, etc.

Erie Insurance Group

I hope we never move to a state where they're not available, because they are wonderful. Before Erie, I had Nationwide and then Allstate. Nationwide's rates went up every six months, and the service was horrible when I had a claim. I didn't have any complaints about Allstate, but I switched to Erie because I'd heard good things about them and they were cheaper. I've now been with Erie for more than 15 years. We've had several claims on our auto policy and one on homeowners. The service is outstanding, and our rates are still about the same as we were paying 15 years ago. They don't increase rates until your 2nd at-fault claim (we've had none).

Most recently, we got hit by a teenager who ran a red light and our car was totaled. The girl claimed to have a green light and none of the witnesses stuck around, so our insurance company paid for our damages and her insurance company paid for her damages. We didn't know it until after the wreck, but we had replacement value coverage. So even though our car was 6 years old, we got a check equal to the price of a brand new car, including the tax and reg. fees. In contrast, most of our friends who have totaled their cars had to argue and negotiate with their insurance companies to get what their cars were worth.

we are with Liberty Mutual and have been very happy with them. They are also one of only three insurance companies that offer a 20% discount on your teen's insurance if they take the adeptdriver.com course at home. The course is $100 but you'll save that in a month with 20% off.