Menu

So why not DIVE Biology instead of Biology 101 DVDs??

I have thought about using the Biology 101 DVD series that has been so talked about here recently on the board but now I am wondering if DIVE Biology would be a better choice. Any thoughts?

I have a son who is NOT science inclined BUT I want him to have a good understanding of Biology...

I didn't look into the DIVE Biology, so I can't comment on that. We made the choice to use the Biology 101 DVD's because we (dd and I looked and chose together) loved that it went along the days of Creation and is Biblically based. When we looked at it, dd said, "That's what I want to use!" So that's what we got! :)

Maybe you can let your ds look at both and see which he prefers!

DIVE biology is totally different from Biology 101. Biology 101 is more of a gentle, Charlotte Mason, living books-plus-DVDs approach. DIVE is made to be used with a textbook and includes lectures and labs on the CD-ROM. Practically opposite approaches, basically.

I haven't used Bio 101 but did own it for awhile because I thought we'd use it, so I've looked into it. We've been using DIVE this year with BJU text and, quite frankly, we're finding the BJU text to be TOO MUCH. So we're switching to a combination of DIVE, dissections (real ones, not virtual), living books, and high-school level biology/anatomy coloring books.

We used the DIVE and it worked well. I don't think we could have managed the BJU text without it...well, unless we had spent the $$ for the BJU dvds. Then again, my daughter liked the BJU text!

Anyway - I chose the DIVE over the Bio 101 because I wanted to use a textbook approach. My daughter would have enjoyed watching the DVDs as a supplement but I kind of forgot about it!

Actually, I didn't even realize there was a DIVE DVD when we were looking for stuff. We did NOT want a textbook approach, so the Biology 101 with lots of reading seemed the perfect answer. We shall see. :D We just really like the idea of it dividing it up into the days of creation. Both dd and I thought that was a really cool approach!

Do they have a DIVE Chemistry DVD? We DO want the Chemistry to be more textbookish, and would probably like something like that for support.

Does anyone have a link to finding the DIVE DVD's?

Edited by Brindee

Do they have a DIVE Chemistry DVD? We DO want the Chemistry to be more textbookish, and would probably like something like that for support.

Does anyone have a link to finding the DIVE DVD's?

We've done DIVE Physical Science this year and will do DIVE Chemistry next year.

Go to DIVE's website, scroll down and look to the left for their science offerings. The About Science link will answer many questions about their science programs.

We really like Dr. Shoreman....We use his DIVE CD for math & my kiddos really like him.

I think following his course & supplementing is similar to a college class...where you listen to a lecture & take notes...7 have outside reading. He also only gives quarterly exams ...like you will get in college.

So, I won't even use the Apologia test....

I know it's a stretch if you are secure & comfortable with Apologia or any just textbook approach

I just think he will be a great Christian teacher with great insights...& he really wants the kids to learn & challenge themselves. He also will correct & keep tract of your kiddos progression..which will be great for a reference some day! There is a cost for that...of course! Oh.... and I have e-mailed him a few times with questions...& he always responds very nicely!!

You could also use his course & just listen to the books....both....that may be a great option for you too!

You can also buy Dive Cd's at Rainbow resource...& of course his own website

http://www.diveintomath.com

You may also find it for sale here used...but,.....read on.... BB

BUT

Many people do not know this........read my little story!!!!

I recently listed a want ad for DIVE Biology CD.

Well, I actually found a seller.

I began the transaction...& even sent the check.

When a kind user on this website sent me a pm...telling me that I may not be aware of the DIVE CD user policy.

Well, needless to say I did not know about this .....

Well, I felt very convicted that I should not buy this cd used.

So, I e-mail the buyer...& she agreed to return my check & cancel our transaction.

I am writing to bring this policy to your attention.

There are probably MANY sellers & buyers that do not know this user policy exists.

So, I thought maybe you all would like to think about a policy for not allowing~~ buying & selling of these products on this web site...?

I just think that everyone is unaware!!

Here's their policy...below:

Replacement CD Program We offer replacement CDs to original purchasers for Win/Mac Version CDs that have been damaged or broken. Please complete the Replacement CD Form.

[u]Used CDs All DIVE CDs are copyrighted and contain an End User License Agreement which states you have purchased a license to use the intellectual property for your immediate family. It also states that this license is non-transferable which means the DIVE CDs cannot be sold, loaned, or given away. This is important for many reasons but most importantly it allows us to serve you better by permiting us to offer the Replacement CD Program described above and it helps protect homeschooling families from purchasing damaged used CDs. Most of the tech support calls we receive are due to damaged used CDs which are the most time consuming tech calls we get. The CDs are priced for one user and actually only cost about 41cents per lecture. We hope you agree our CDs are a great value without reselling![/u]

Missions Program If you would like to send us your used DIVE CDs when you are finished with them, we will put them in our Missions Program. This program donates DIVE CDs to ministries such as School of the Medes, a Classical Christian School in Iraq.

All this to say....We really like DIVE cd's!!! They do come in Chemistry..Physics too!!! Also Clep/AP prep programs!!!

Hmmmmmmmmm, I'm thinking that by us not being able to resell the DIVE cds, they get to sell new ones and make more money! :glare: I 'm not impressed with that at all! I only have one that I'm homeschooling now. I don't want to pay that much for a cd and not be able to do anything with it once we're done with it.

They are REALLY good!!!

So, if you have more than one child....to use them on....they are soooo worth it.

They are only $50.00 for the Cd....that's one entire yr. of lectures & lab demos.... without ever needing to leave your house....take them toa co-op....

I know this is just my opinion...:iagree:

But, we use his math DIVE cd.....& I know longer "teach" their lessons...& they are ALL "A" students.... So, to me they are worth every penny!

Again....just my opinion!!!:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

I suggest if ANYONE is interested ....that you go to his website & completely read the info. on this program...even a presentation movie....

And then make your decision...based on the needs of your own family!!

Blessings!!!

Yes... You need to buy the kit ...for about $229....& a microscope...if you don't have one.

You will probably use the microscope again ...if you have other children....

But, you need to remember the labs he is having you do are AP labs.

It is costly.....but, the alternatives are co-op classes for about $400...

& my time saved driving him.....is soooo worth it.

I do intend on having him do the labs....but, for those occasional times that do not work....watching him do it close up...even the ability to replay it will be a wonderful advantage!!

I really just wanted a very challenging Bio course.

I want my kiddo to take the AP Biology Exam....& I think this will prepare him for that!

There is no perfect program....I just feel this is the best for my kiddo to have an advanced / honors Bio course at home!:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

Is there a list of the supplies in the lab packs anywhere? I'd like to be able to pick and choose what supplies I'm buying. We're getting a pretty good base of science supplies, test tubes, beakers, dissecting tools, etc. Its all here already. I don't want to purchase any of it again.

I have purchased and am planning to use PH Physical Science, Concepts in Action next year and I was debating using DIVE with it. It seems like an inexpensive supplement to me. I expect to drop some money on lab supplies with or without DIVE, but I don't want to buy anything just for the heck of it!

My dd will be using the DIVE Biology DVD's with the ABeka text (she can't stand Apologia, and she likes ABeka textbooks, go figure!). She's a writer, not a scientist or mathematician. She's also an animal rights person and refuses to do dissections. We own a microscope and almost everything needed to do the labs, so whatever we have that she can do, fine. Otherwise, she'll just watch.

She's really looking forward to using this!