Menu

Anyone familiar with Greek Alphabaterian?

I've been reading the recent Greek threads with much interest. I was planning on trying Latin again with my oldest but he is not interested. We used Prima Latina 2 years ago and while I enjoyed the program, he whined the entire year. I'm thinking of giving him a little more time and picking it up again later.

In the meantime, I'd like to do Greek. I'm leaning towards Koine Greek and would really like them to be able to read the New Testament in its original form. I saw that Dr. Bluedorn wrote Greek Alphabaterian and from what I've read, its methods sounds very similiar to Wanda Sanseri's. We already use SWR for spelling so I'm thinking it might be a good fit. Elementary Greek also sounds good too...Any comments?

I've been reading the recent Greek threads with much interest. I was planning on trying Latin again with my oldest but he is not interested. We used Prima Latina 2 years ago and while I enjoyed the program, he whined the entire year. I'm thinking of giving him a little more time and picking it up again later.

In the meantime, I'd like to do Greek. I'm leaning towards Koine Greek and would really like them to be able to read the New Testament in its original form. I saw that Dr. Bluedorn wrote Greek Alphabaterian and from what I've read, its methods sounds very similiar to Wanda Sanseri's. We already use SWR for spelling so I'm thinking it might be a good fit. Elementary Greek also sounds good too...Any comments?

We're using it this year. You'd need the Alphbetarian and the Huppogrammon (which is the workbook). My dd is 12 and this has been her favorite subject this year. It's simply learning the Greek alphabet, which is the foundation of learning Greek. It's been fun, not hard at all, and a nice change of pace from everything else. Next year, I plan on using Elementary Greek because the text for Homeschool Greek is very busy and cluttered and my dd has issues with visual clutter.

Thanks for the info! So is G.A. a curriculum that you only use for 1 year? Hmmm...I'm wondering if I should just start off with Elementary Greek and save the expense of of eventually buying 2 curriculums?? More to consider now...

It depends on how hard you think it will be to master Greek phonetics. I first tried to make do with the 2-3 pages of phonetic info in my Greek grammar text (actually, I was using the phonetic info from 2-3 texts), but it just wasn't enough practice for me. I'm pretty sure I have CAPD, though undiagnosed, and while I memorized the sound-letter correspondences easily, trying to sound out Greek words was a long and laborious process. While I'm sure that if I just stuck at it - made up my own practice exercises - I'd have gotten it eventually, I decided it was worth it to just buy the Alphabetarion and have all the info (syllabary in particular) already put together. It has a ton of good info, and is very nicely arranged - I'm glad I got it. The whole "learn Greek phonetics" thing is still very slow going, but I have plenty of material to work through - and I need every bit of it.

I'm no Greek scholar by any stretch, but, I did start taking Greek at my church last year. From what I remember of the teaching, mastery of the alphabet is essential. Elementary Greek has two lessons on the alphabet, so, IMHO, taking the time to do the Greek Alphabeterian (maybe this summer for fun!) can't be anything other than beneficial. And, someone might (wink wink) be willing (wink wink) to send you her GA book (wink wink) because she ended up with 2 of them (wink wink). You would need to get the Huppogrammon from RR, but I am confident your child could get through it quite easily by next fall. I just stretched our GA study over the whole year. You could definitely do it over the summer. :001_smile:

I'm no Greek scholar by any stretch, but, I did start taking Greek at my church last year. From what I remember of the teaching, mastery of the alphabet is essential. Elementary Greek has two lessons on the alphabet, so, IMHO, taking the time to do the Greek Alphabeterian (maybe this summer for fun!) can't be anything other than beneficial. And, someone might (wink wink) be willing (wink wink) to send you her GA book (wink wink) because she ended up with 2 of them (wink wink). You would need to get the Huppogrammon from RR, but I am confident your child could get through it quite easily by next fall. I just stretched our GA study over the whole year. You could definitely do it over the summer. :001_smile:

I just pm'd you. ;)