Menu

What do I want to be when I grow up? (or what do I study in college?)

I'm going back to school this summer and I only have 2 classes left in my core curriculum. Therefore, I need to make a decison about my major because I need to start taking the classes in my 'major' department. And I'm weighing my options.

My first interest is working as an Occupational Therapist, especially with children, perhaps even special needs children. I know an O.T. needs at least a Masters degree, but what Bachelors should I pursue as a first step?

My second interest is History, thanks to homeschooling. I'm nervous about going into that department knowing very little. I realize college is a place of learning, but I worry I will look like an idiot for my lack of knowledge. I have no clue what path this type of degree would lead to because I have no desire to teach in middle or high school. Political science type jobs are absolutely out as well. Ick!

My third interest is Early Childhood Education. I left school when I was an an education major because I was disillusioned with the teaching field and that was before I was even teaching in a school. Working with young children is my passion though, which is why I keep being drawn to that field. My cousin is an elementary school teacher though I don't know what grade she is currently teaching. She loves the teaching part but really dislikes the red tape that goes along with it all. She said I would love it because I love being with small kids. And yet, I'm hesitant.

Ok, I'm mostly talking aloud here, though I certainly wouldn't mind opinions. I'm especially interested in knowing what degree programs I might pursue if I wanted to be an O.T.

Just a quick two cents...follow your passion! You are lucky to have identified one. There are tons of "interesting" classes out there - save those for later. Follow your passion. Make a long term plan. "I will study XYZ and get a job doing XYZ." In this economy spending money on schooling that does not lead to employment is a luxury most people can't afford. Also, avoid school debt as much as possible - ask me how I know!!

Congrats! :)

I would second the recommendation to follow your passion (while keeping in mind eventual employability, assuming that's your goal).

Sounds like your passion is really in working with young children. If I were you, I would listen to my gut regarding getting into teaching (you mentioned being hesitant) and instead pursue O.T. A degree in history is not likely to lead to working with young children (not impossible - but not likely).

Regarding undergrad programs that would position you for a Masters in O.T., I have no idea. I'm sure the college/university can provide some guidance on that.

On a personal note, I did not pursue my passion when deciding my major but instead focused solely on what would make me employable (I have a B.S. in Business Administration and an MBA). My passion was Psychology, but I didn't think that would get me a good job. I've been extremely well employed the last 18 years (so my strategy worked), but I never truly felt fulfilled in what I was doing. I'm now pursuing a certification to become a Life Coach - so I'm back to Psychology. Perhaps I should have started with that. Oh well...!

Good luck! :)

I'm an OT working in pediatrics. If someone is considering being an elementary or preschool teacher, I recommend OT. The pay, hours (more flexible), and working environment are better. I get paid to work with one child at a time, sometimes with another adult co-treating him/her with me. After homeschooling my many children and teaching older kids while managing a toddler or two or three while nursing a baby, that still seems unbelievably easy to me. I do have to spend time planning the treatments and writing reports. Occasionally I get a kid who hits, kicks, and/or spits, but I can refuse to treat him/her if it's too bad.

If you decide to be an OT you might look at what college major will allow you to take some of the required courses for your masters in O.T. as part of the degree plan. Are you aware of being a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant? It's a 2 year community college type degree. You don't get paid as much, but the pay is still decent and the good thing is you have less paperwork than an OT (we have to write the evaluations, etc.). Obviously it's better to be an OT, but the COTA education takes less time.

Feel free to post back here or PM me if you have any questions.