Menu

Natural products for ADHD?

My son has dyslexia and possibly ADHD. He's 12 and I have really had my head in the sand about him. I've finally started reading books on ADHD and he is described in every book!

My husband is really against Rx medication, but would consider a natural supplement. Are there any that actually help with focusing? I've heard of Focus Factor, ADD-Care, and Attentive Child. (He's a different child when he has caffiene in his system, but I'm not excited about giving him that on a regular basis.)

:confused:

Any help please?

Thanks!

Gayle

Caffiene for breakfast and lunch on school days has been a huge help. Also, plenty of short periods of exercise.

What form of caffiene do you use? I've done Coke & Pepsi, but I hate for him to have all the sugar, and I don't want the aspartame of the diet.

Gayle

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167012&highlight=Blue

There's the link to a thread I started on this board about a product I purchased for my whole family but specifically for my twins who take meds for ADHD. They take the lowest dose of Adderall, but I am hoping that some day, we will be able to get them off it.

Anyway, the product I write about in the above thread has had a positive effect on their behavior -- specifically their behavior at the end of the day when their med wears off (typically 3:30pm or so). We are avoiding the spikes and aberrations in their behavior since we started Blue Ice Royal - well, a very short time after we started it to be exact.

Today, I have added green pasture's Fermented Skate Liver Oil -- I am curious to see if we have an increased positive result from this.

HTH

FWIW, yes, I know that the caffeine is recommended (one of the pediatricians at our practice recommends it) but to be honest, I had to give so much to my ds, it wasn't a good idea imo. Besides, he was either getting the caffeine with sugar (which is an awful thing for him) OR with artificial sweetener which I was not pleased about.

And, we are reading about Feingold right now (I ordered everything) and after I have enough time to evaluate if the Skate Liver Oil is effective, I will begin that.

My advice is to try ONE thing at a time OR you will not know what exactly is causing a change.

Sugar products and pop only hype my son up more. At 13, he asked if he could go off his meds. We found a ADHD website in ADDitude. The biggest thing the site said was to push more fresh veggies and fruits and to make sure to eat lots of foods with omega 3 and 12.

Cutting down on the processed foods and eating more omega rich foods has helped a lot.

We also use an excerise ball instead of a chair.

I will say since he has hit puberty he has calmed down a lot.

"Today, I have added green pasture's Fermented Skate Liver Oil -- I am curious to see if we have an increased positive result from this."

Curious about seeing an increased positive result from

Fermented Skate Liver Oil?....shudder...spaz..sputter...GAG!

Please tell me this is comes in a gel tab!

Wretching at the thought,

Geo

Country Life's Omega 3 Mood (2 capsules a day) or Omega Brite (3 per day) have been very helpful for my husband with ADHD. My girls also take them and they help but they need medication as well.

You need to look for 1000mg of EPA (NOT just total fish oil). With many products this would mean taking several servings a day of them--and each serving might be 2-4 capsules. The 2 listed above are 2 of the highest concentrations of EPA I have found.

Physical exercise

good sleep

more protein/less sugars

The above can help as well.

I would say though that if these don't help, medication is certainly worth a try. Some times the "side effects" of NOT medicating (a child with learning issues, poor self esteem, peer problems, family stress, etc) are more serious than the potential side effects of using the medication.

"Today, I have added green pasture's Fermented Skate Liver Oil -- I am curious to see if we have an increased positive result from this."

Curious about seeing an increased positive result from

Fermented Skate Liver Oil?....shudder...spaz..sputter...GAG!

Please tell me this is comes in a gel tab!

Wretching at the thought,

Geo

ME TOO! :ack2: DH threw me a 'look' when I told them what it was -- FORTUNATELY, none of the three has remembered that they spend hours at the OBX Roanoke Aquarium twice a year PETTING the SKATES in the 'touch tank.' :ack2:

Yes, it comes in a non-cellulose plant material gel capsule.

Will report back in a couple of weeks.

ME TOO! :ack2: DH threw me a 'look' when I told them what it was -- FORTUNATELY, none of the three has remembered that they spend hours at the OBX Roanoke Aquarium twice a year PETTING the SKATES in the 'touch tank.' :ack2:

Yes, it comes in a non-cellulose plant material gel capsule.

Will report back in a couple of weeks.

Really, really glad to hear that. :laugh:

Geo