Menu

What resources help you become a better teacher, or inspire you, or equip you?

HappyGrace

Anything-curricula, books, videos, etc. I would especially love to hear specific teacher training materials (ACCS conferences? SWB's downloads?) because I don't know where to look for those!

I got the idea for this thread from someone mentioning on the Cincy convention thread that they don't want seminars from people convincing them to homeschool-they want seminars from people that teach them very specifically *how* to do a better job at it in all different subjects. That really resonated with me!

Here's part of my list-I will come back with more as I think of them!:

-anything by or about Marva Collins

-Teach Like Your Hair is On Fire by Rafe Esquith

-the book about teaching primary math by Liping Ma

-Singapore HIGs

-Math Mammoth

-Phonics Road DVDs

-MCT materials have helped me teach LA in a Socratic fashion

(xpost general)

I make sure I get Teaching Company DVDs for Christmas. Usually the topic is history related. I watch them when I fold laundry and learn a lot about the time period we are studying. We're in year 4 now and I've been watching The History of the United States and Foundations of Western Civilizations II the last two years. I have Foundations of Western Civilization I ready for when we cycle back to ancients, as well as some Elizabeth Vandiver ones on Homer and Mythology. I love the Teaching Company courses. Eventually my kids will watch these, but for now they are for me!

Anything by Marilyn Burns for math. Going through some of her lessons with my daughter helped me understand WHY some things work the way they do for the first time. At a more difficult level, Out of the Labyrinth by Robert and Ellen Kaplan (hard to read for a non-mathy person like me, but very worthwhile in terms of how mathematicians really think and teach outside the whole Olympiad deal).

For science, Eleanor Duckworth's The Having of Wonderful Ideas is a continual source of inspiration.

The Body Has a Mind of Its Own, by Sandra and Matthew Blakleslee, to remind me that minds are not bodiless containers we pour knowledge into, but part and parcel of how we think.

Critical Lessons by Nel Noddings, to remind me how much a narrow focus on conventional academic subjects leaves out, and what kinds of other things are vital for a young adult to be learn.

RightStart Math--this program has given me the confidence to teach math to my youngest without a curriculum.

When Children Love to Learn by Elaine Cooper. This CM book has inspired me to bring back those subjects that I have neglected, like picture study, nature study, etc. I simply love this book.

Beauty for Truth's Sake by Stratford Caldecott. This book is more an apologetic on the Quadrivium but it fits very nicely with Cooper's book.

Teaching the Classics & Deconstructing Penguins. This DVD/book has helped me teach literary analysis with more confidence.

Thus far and in short...

-reading The Well Trained Mind by SWB

-reading Teaching the Trivium by Bluedorns

-reading The Way They Learn by Cynthia Tobias

-reading/using Spell to Write and Read (our language arts program by Wanda Sanseri).

-attending a SWR 2-Day Basic Seminar and watching SWR's You Can Do It by Britta McColl.

-reading/using Cursive First.

-reading/using First Language Lessons and Writing With Ease.

-using Saxon Math K.

-using RightStart Mathematics (absolutely love this math program!).

-other homeschool bloggers.

-OhElizabeth (;)) and others here on TWTM forums.

I'm also looking forward to...

-attending a Classical Conversations 3-Day Parent Practicum and Foundations tutor training.

-reading The Core: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of Classical Education by Leigh Bortins.

-reading and watching Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College (paperback w/DVD of 25 video clips) by Doug Lemov.

:001_smile: Melissa

Edited by CMama