Menu

Opinions on BJU algebra 1

I'm needing to change math programs for my artsy, non mathy dd who will be a 9th grader in the fall. TT bombed, LOF she hated, Saxon was a disaster. She does like CLE's math 8 and the Keys to Algebra series. I'm considering Videotext or BJU, maybe with their DVDs. Any advice? As bad as this sounds, I don't want rigorous. I just want to help her through it gently. She's not going into science... and I'm tired of stressing her out (and ME too!)

I'm needing to change math programs for my artsy, non mathy dd who will be a 9th grader in the fall. TT bombed, LOF she hated, Saxon was a disaster. She does like CLE's math 8 and the Keys to Algebra series. I'm considering Videotext or BJU, maybe with their DVDs. Any advice? As bad as this sounds, I don't want rigorous. I just want to help her through it gently. She's not going into science... and I'm tired of stressing her out (and ME too!)

Hi,

Ds did Video Text and it didn't go well. So, we used BJU Algebra 1 with dvds for dd. LOVED it. TT, Saxon, Chalkdust and Video Text didn't go well for us. Both of my kids are creative. BJU moved at a very reasonable pace, and they take two days for harder concepts. The teacher is excellent. She explains concepts very well and breaks them down into very understandable chunks. The homework load is very reasonable as well. FYI the same teacher does the Geometry, we are doing it this year, and it is going well.

Thank you Susan, for responding! I'm thrilled that you've had such good results from BJU. If you had to guess, how long are the daily video segments? What does a typical day look like? How much homework is required? The fact that you're using it for geometry speaks volumes. Anything else you care to share?

My two oldest are finishing up BJU Algebra I. I agree with Susan. The video segments are 45 min, just like actual classroom time. Natural math students can get annoyed by the pace sometimes, and all the questions, sometimes stupid questions, that the other satellite students ask. BUT, these questions are often very valuable, because they are often the same question your student is having. Also, when my daughters have had difficulty with something in the homework, the teacher almost always addresses it in the next lesson, because other students have had that difficulty, too. It has really been great for my daughters. I wouldn't say that it is not rigorous - it is, at least compared to the algebra I took in school, lol. Lots of word problems. The algebra is explained so very well and so thoroughly that it is friendly to the non-mathy student,too.

Thank you Susan, for responding! I'm thrilled that you've had such good results from BJU. If you had to guess, how long are the daily video segments? What does a typical day look like? How much homework is required? The fact that you're using it for geometry speaks volumes. Anything else you care to share?

The video starts with answers to even problems, odds are in the back of the book, so your kids can check themselves. Then, maybe a quiz, so ask what grade they got, then the lesson is introduced. Then, the assignment. I don't think it took over an hour to do the homework very often (maybe just a few times). MUCH better than Chalkdust, that took us three plus hours a day. All of the teaching is on the dvd, you don't have to teach, hooray!! I usually don't even know what dd is doing.... totally independent, and she loves it. It is a very reasonable pace as well, the harder concepts are given two days.

The video starts with answers to even problems, odds are in the back of the book, so your kids can check themselves. Then, maybe a quiz, so ask what grade they got, then the lesson is introduced. Then, the assignment. I don't think it took over an hour to do the homework very often (maybe just a few times). MUCH better than Chalkdust, that took us three plus hours a day. All of the teaching is on the dvd, you don't have to teach, hooray!! I usually don't even know what dd is doing.... totally independent, and she loves it. It is a very reasonable pace as well, the harder concepts are given two days.

Susan,

Do you like the Algebra 2 book and DVD lessons just as much as the Algebra 1?

Thanks!!

Susan,

Do you like the Algebra 2 book and DVD lessons just as much as the Algebra 1?

Thanks!!

Yes, we will be doing it next year with dd. Ds (graduated) was my math curriculum experiment. He tried Chalkdust Algebra 2 (hit the wall....), we had to stop math for that year. The next year, we did BJU Alg. 2, he said it was his best math year to date. Excellent insturctor, excellent calculator instruction (no curriculum to date showed him how to use the calculator), and intro. to trig. was included in a very friendly way. I just noticed that BJU Press is doing online classes for $100 less than the dvds. Since we watch the dvds on the computer anyway, it might be a good way to save some $$. BJU taped classes do have a few annoyances, but there is always the fast forward button! It is the best math I have found to date.