Menu

Please tell me more about MCT.

Do you use MCT as a supplement or stand alone program? Does the poetry part include memorization? Is there any dictation, or would I need to add that in? If I understand correctly, there is no sentence diagramming? Is diagrammin just not so necessary? Would it be overkill to add a little diagramming in? For those that use CW and MCT, how well do they complement each other? What is the vocabulary portion like? Is it similar to Vocabulary from Classical Roots? Is MCT an easy switch from R&S? I am very interested in getting MCT but would really like a better understanding. I did read some reviews online already.

The poetry book (Island Level) does not include memorization. It teaches poetic devices such as meter, end-rhyme, eye-rhyme, assonance, consonance, alliteration, using sounds to convey meaning, etc.

THere is no dictation at the Island level or at the Town level. I don't think there is any dictation in any of the levels.

MCT does not contain traditional diagramming. He does a 4-part analysis of the sentence (parts of speech, parts of a sentence, phrases, clauses). We had already done diagramming w/ GWG 4 last year and this year before starting MCT. We still do occasionally diagram sentences. I think it helps give a visual pattern to a sentence.

I also use Writing With Ease as I think it works on a totally different aspect of writing than MCT.

I also agree on checking ALL the threads. Those of us who use MCT are getting a little tired of all the typing (I am anyway;)), and you ask a lot of very specific questions. MAny of them might have been answered a few times.

Uhura & Marianne covered a bit, I will tackle another part.

The vocab is fantastic. It works with Latin stems and "classic words" (vocab used in classic literature). It is VERY in depth and is not just memorizing words and meanings. It puts them in context of great literature, gives several examples of a words use in real works, many nice exercises (analogies, synonym, antonym etc etc) and is just FABULOUS! last year I looked at Vocab from the classical Roots, and thought that it looked pretty good, and decided that if I wanted a secondary vocab program (sometimes I like to do more than one thing....:tongue_smilie:) I would choose that one. I picked out level C for where my kids would have been (they were 3rd & 4th grade) looked it up and saw that level C was 8th or 9th grade. I have since decided I will only do MCT for vocab, grammar, poetics and most writing.

It does not cover some things that some people think are important, more rudimentary writing (letter writing, journals etc) and spelling. It is up to you what you would like to add in. It is absolutely a stand alone LA program w/o ANY supplementation, but every family has some different things they think are important... and if you want to supplement, please do so. I think that LA are extremely important, possibly the most important, but I am not a gigantic fan of dictation, copywork, and many other methods of teaching them(even though we do them). For some reason my husband is obsessed with handwriting. :)

Good luck making your decision. MCT is really a brilliant thinker, and loves language to such a degree that his enthusiasm practically radiates off of the pages.

When you search, I suggest you look for MCT in the thread title first, not in the posts. This should narrow down your search. Otherwise you could get many posts belonging to various threads where it might be mentioned in passing, such as on one of those "what are you doing for such and such a grade" threads.

I have not started using MCT yet. We are planning on using it starting next year with my oldest ds. I did, however, go to 3 of his presentations at the Ohio convention, so I can tell you some of the things he said in those.

Regarding poetry, as somebody mentioned, his program teaches poetic devices. In his presentation he pointed out that poetic devices and structures are used not only in poetry, but in prose as well. So, if you're reading something other than poetry and don't have knowledge of poetic devices, you may miss some of the author's deliberate word choices and reasons behind them.

In his presentation on writing he talked only about full essays, not senteces or paragraphs. He said that his program has only to do with one type of writing because he feels it is the most important and not taught enough. He points out that when you get to college you will have to write the type of essay his program is about. You won't be able to just journal about it and turn that in. He said it would be good to add in the other types of writing on your own or from another program or whatever.

I have been using Writing Skills with my oldest son to make sure he practices and learns about different types of writing. It doesn't take a lot of time each day and his writing has improved (though I don't think it was ever "bad" for his age). They have books for grades 1 - 6. I *plan* to continue using it, but like I said I will be starting MCT next year, so I may change my tune once we get into it.