Menu

Does this Bible curriculum exist?

Quiver0f10

I'd like to go through our Bible chronological and I want to read a passage from our Bible and them some questions to study the section we just read. I want something we can do together as a famliy that wont be too simple for my highschoolers yet not over the head of my elementary ages kids either.

Is there something like this out there?

If you go onto Ambleside Online's Website...there are links to a Bible Study that has questions and some maps for each book of the Bible.

I have liked the ones we have done because the questions were not over my younger ones heads, but the older kids could answer either in depth using a commentary (suggested by CM) or in writing...or as a jump off to deeper discussion "when they rise up and walk on the way."

I also liked printing up the coloring pages from Calvary Chapel to go with the chapters we read for my little ones...OK...my big kids like to color too...shhhhh:001_smile:

HTH

Faithe

I don't know if this is what you are looking for or now, but this is a very thorough chronological bible curriculum for kids. It is a bit teacher intensive, but well worth it. It is called Building on Firm Foundations. Here is a link: http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicStore/product/Firm-Foundations-Childrens-Edition-Teachers-Guides,4470,241.aspx

"I don't know if this is what you are looking for or now, but this is a very thorough chronological bible curriculum for kids. It is a bit teacher intensive, but well worth it. It is called Building on Firm Foundations. Here is a link: http://www.answersingenesis.org/Publ.."

Forwardbyfaith:

Hijacking this thread for a moment. Could you describe this bible curriculum a little more. I went to AIG and I don't see any samples. I'm curious about it now!

Hi,

We used this Bible study two years ago (with 2nd and 4th graders) and were very pleased. It covers creation through Christ in four volumes. It is chronological, but it doesn't study each book of the Bible - it provides an overview of where Christ fits into the general picture and also teaches about God's character. It was written by a New Tribes Missions missionary who realized that some conversions were not based on understanding the need for salvation (polytheistic religions just "added" Jesus on as another God). This Bible study really stresses our NEED for our savior. Each lesson has a scripted teaching, a review page from the previous lesson, a coloring page for the current lesson, and a scripted "play" that the family performs together. We studied it once per week for about an hour or so. Hope that helps!

Julie

Rod and Staff Bible grades 5-8? It goes chronologically through the Bible, and the TM and student workbooks are excellent.

Also, how about something from Positive Action for Christ? This one would lend itself well to a group setting.

Hope you find something.

I'll second the R&S Bible suggestion. It's very straight forward and doesn't offer any Mennonite doctrine from 5th-8th grade; however, the high school series does introduce Mennonite doctrine. Their Bible program uses the KJV, but this has actually helped us as we begin our Shakespeare study. Using a different translation has also given new life to the same stories you hear over and over again in Sunday School.

I'm looking at R&S Bible 5 Lesson 10. It has a 4 paragraph introduction followed by 4 sections, A through D. Section A is Answers from the Bible. You read verses and answer fill-in-the blanks & multiple choice; this could be done in a group setting. Section B is Bible word study. It's a matching exercise, so this will not be as easy to do in a group setting. Section C is Thinking about Bible truths. Again, this is an exercise in reading Bible verses and answering questions; another activity that can be done in a group. Finally, section D is Learning more about the Bible. In this exercise you label Jacob's family, so it's not as conducive to a group setting.

I think you'll find that throughout the program Sections A & D in each lesson will be easy to do in a group setting, but because of the nature of the exercises in sections B & C, you may not be able to do these as easily.

If you like this program and decide to do it as a group orally, then you really only need the TM.

R&S 5-8 is written to be done in a school setting. You could switch it up and keep it fresh by implementing in a variety of ways.

One method would be to read the Bible text orally, then put your children in small groups. Have each group take one section, A, B, D, or D (accoding to age or ability) to complete. Then meet back all together in 10-15 minutes and have each small group or pair share their findings with the whole family. This way, you have active, not passive, learning going on.

Other times, you could go through the questions using dice. On a blank die, write each child's name, and yours. WIth each question, roll the dice, and whoever's name comes up answers. This turns it into a fun game.

If I was you, I'd get the TM and 3 workbooks, if you can put them in 3 groups. Groups can change and don't need to be age specific. Have new pairings every week or two!

HTH!

Rod and Staff Bible grades 5-8? It goes chronologically through the Bible, and the TM and student workbooks are excellent.

Also, how about something from Positive Action for Christ? This one would lend itself well to a group setting.

Hope you find something.

I looked at the 4th and 5th grade materials from Positive Action for Christ and like those, but I wonder if my teens would be bored?

R&S 5-8 is written to be done in a school setting. You could switch it up and keep it fresh by implementing in a variety of ways.

One method would be to read the Bible text orally, then put your children in small groups. Have each group take one section, A, B, D, or D (accoding to age or ability) to complete. Then meet back all together in 10-15 minutes and have each small group or pair share their findings with the whole family. This way, you have active, not passive, learning going on.

Other times, you could go through the questions using dice. On a blank die, write each child's name, and yours. WIth each question, roll the dice, and whoever's name comes up answers. This turns it into a fun game.

If I was you, I'd get the TM and 3 workbooks, if you can put them in 3 groups. Groups can change and don't need to be age specific. Have new pairings every week or two!

HTH!

Excellent ideas! I do like the looks of R&S so this might be an option and not too expensive. BSG for each level and maps, timelines etc is over $150 for one year.

I have Bible Study Guide for All Ages, and it was hard to implement, for some reason. It seemed complicated.

Have you looked at the Middle School Positive Action for Christ? I don't think your teens would be bored.

However, you are a busy Mom, and Rod and Staff is extremely easy to implement, chronological, and expositional. Grouping kids and using little games would keep up the "fun factor." Positive Action looks a little more teacher intensive, but also excellent.

Blessings - God will reward whatever seeds you plant, I'm sure!

For R&S Bible 5, I came up with 115 lessons. Each chapter introduction only has 2 sections. I assumed you would do the oral chapter reviews, but not the written reviews. I also assumed you would not do the chapter tests. With approximately 115 lessons over 36 school weeks, you could do this 3 days a week. I do the written chapter reviews and tests, so I usually do this 3X a week unless there's a review or test, and then it's 4X a week. If you wanted a daily study, then this program will take you about 23 weeks to complete.

OK, thanks for all the help! I just called and ordered the Rod & Staff 5 materials. I plan to use some games and do groups like Tami suggested.

Looking at my R&S 5 manual, I think this curriculum is so easy to implement.

If you wanted to do a three day study, you could do something like this:

Day 1 & 2 Read all the scriptures and do quesions in part A (Answers from the Bible) as a whole group. Try the dice to make it more exciting! You never know when you will get called upon! If there are many questions, perhaps you could break down into small groups and assign each group a few questions. Also, tHere are many teaching pointers in the TM that I think you will find extremely helpful.

Day 3 - Break into 3 groups and have each group do B, C, or D. Meet back at a set time and share results.

Day 4- optional - have older children work on a timeline book, and younger children do coloring pages or draw. Or, use this day to do review games with the questions from section A. You could put the children in their small groups from the week and have a friendly contest. : ) THere are also lots of ideas for review games on the internet such as "Review Baseball" "Hot Potato" etc. You can just use the questions from the week's lesson - and it gives you an idea of how much the children are retaining.

Hope it works for you!

It is published by Classical Academic Press. I have not used it (we are using the Westminster Shorter Catechism as a guide for study right now), but I know the author (solid knowledge of Scripture, IMHO) and have heard positive things from those who have used it. Part two will be coming out this year.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I am currently under contract with Classical Academic Press, writing a science curriculum. They didn't pay me to say this. :) I know the author of Bible for Children because we went to church together... her dh was an elder in our church.)

Thanks, Tami for the suggestions! I think we are going to learn alot and have fun :)

Tutor, I did look at it briefly, but I was worried it would be too young for my teens. I think I can adapt R&S to fit everyone. I am curious, what age are you writing a science curriculum for? :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dmaui

I happened to notice this thread and wanted to clarify the age range for Firm Foundations. The Children's version of Firm Foundation set is geared toward early elementary age. The adult version would be best for older elementary and high school.

Also, FYI, there is a revision to the original adult Firm Foundations Creation to Christ version that will be released in the next couple of months. It will be initially available in book form only and expands the one book into a series of five with a revised student manual. If you are considering this one I'd advise waiting until the revised version is out. The editors have put a lot of work into making it more teacher friendly with clear, concise outlines and adaptable teaching aids.

I also know a revision of the Children's version is in the works, but I'm not sure where when that will be released.

Feel free to email me with any questions you might have.

Donna Maukonen

I happened to notice this thread and wanted to clarify the age range for Firm Foundations. The Children's version of Firm Foundation set is geared toward early elementary age. The adult version would be best for older elementary and high school.

Also, FYI, there is a revision to the original adult Firm Foundations Creation to Christ version that will be released in the next couple of months. It will be initially available in book form only and expands the one book into a series of five with a revised student manual. If you are considering this one I'd advise waiting until the revised version is out. The editors have put a lot of work into making it more teacher friendly with clear, concise outlines and adaptable teaching aids.

I also know a revision of the Children's version is in the works, but I'm not sure where when that will be released.

Feel free to email me with any questions you might have.

Donna Maukonen

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dmaui

Glad to help. As an extra testimonial, I used the adult FF for a bible study with a very small group several years ago. One of the ladies had some very questionable "Christian" teaching and was pro-choice. A few years after the study she started and still runs a crisis pregnancy center. She called a few months ago to thank me for having this study and to tell me about the impact it had on her life.