Menu

CLE Math users?

I have heard a lot of people say they will not be using CLE for upper level math. For those of you who are using CLE now, how far do you plan to use it before switching? What program are you going to switch to after CLE?

Thanks!

I will continue using BJU Pre-Algebra and CLE Math 700 this coming year. As soon as we are finished with the Pre-Alg, I will go on to BJU's Algebra 1 w/DVDs and continue with CLE as a supplement....at whatever CLE level we are in. I probably won't go past CLE 800 though and chances are we will be using that alongside Algebra 1.

I want to continue with CLE at least 2x a week while learning Pre-Alg and Alg. 1 to keep my ds fresh and on his toes. The CLE level does not concern me. I found that my middle son, who completed Pre-Alg in 7th and Alg 1 in 8th, began to forget his basic math concepts due to leaving behind basic maths so early. He could do all forms of algebraic equations, but ask him to do some of the most basic computations...like converting fractions, or working proportions, and he was stumped. :001_huh: These were things had had down at one time. So, in his last year of high school he took it upon himself to do a basic math course so he could relive and relearn...while also completing Precalculus. :tongue_smilie:

So, I figure if he, who is my math guy, could forget some of the basics of math due to a lack of regular practice, my average math guy most definitely will. ;) CLE is great at keeping the concepts fresh.

I have heard a lot of people say they will not be using CLE for upper level math. For those of you who are using CLE now, how far do you plan to use it before switching? What program are you going to switch to after CLE?

Thanks!

I plan on using it up until we finish level 800...then switch to either Saxon or Teaching Textbooks according to child.

~~Faithe

We're using Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1 after completing CLE 800. I don't love it, but we'll see how it goes. At the first sign of trouble I'll be jumping ship to Jacobs with Veritas Press online.

But I think it depends for each family - me teaching math to DD13 is like an accountant teaching math to an artist - I must have help with her math because she and I don't think alike when it comes to math.

BJU w/ DVD's appeals to me too - that is another possibility.

I would use Life of Fred with her if detailed solutions were available for every problem. She argues with me when I try to show her how to solve math problems and it's just not worth it - we must have documented solutions. That's why we're giving Teaching Textbooks a try. The lectures and explanations are excellent - it does a great job of covering the whys and the hows. I'm just not sold on the problem sets - there's not enough practice problems for each new concept taught and the problems aren't very diverse or deep.

I found that my middle son, who completed Pre-Alg in 7th and Alg 1 in 8th, began to forget his basic math concepts due to leaving behind basic maths so early. He could do all forms of algebraic equations, but ask him to do some of the most basic computations...like converting fractions, or working proportions, and he was stumped. :001_huh: These were things had had down at one time.

That's why I DIDN'T have ds do algebra 1 earlier! I KNEW he would forget his math basics. :D

as much of 8 as we can cover before next fall, then onto algebra 1. Programs like Videotext actually incorporate pre-algebra. I'm fairly confident we'll be fine moving to algebra 1 from CLE 7, and a little of 8. We're still undecided, but considering Jacobs and Dr. Callahan.

We haven't decided what we'll use after CLE, but I think we'll probably switch for pre-algebra in 7th grade. My oldest is getting read to start 3rd grade, so we have a while to decide!

This is us too. At the rate we're going, we'll probably finish up the 600 level in the middle of 5th, and then move on to Russian Math 6, supplementing with LOF (and continuing either CWP or MEP) from about 4th grade on. Then I'm looking at either the older Dolciani series (Alg I, Alg 2, Modern Intro Analysis w/ Moise and Downs Geometry) or the Art of Problem Solving classes. We've got a couple of years to figure it out still, which is good because I'm trying to work ahead of dd!