Menu

Would MEP 6 be considered pre-algebra compared to our US programs?

home4school

I am going to reply without much help, and hope that it bumps your thread so someone else sees it. We are going to do 6 next year and I have been debating what we will do the next year. On the yahoo group for mep I read that you could go from year 6 to their GCSC (I am not sure if that is right) and skip yr 7, 8, & 9. From that perspective it seems that it is.

You can print out the scope and compare to a pre alg course. I like the look of 7, 8, and 9, but I don't want to get behind doing that and not just taking standard American courses. (alg, geom)

I haven't looked through it, but I'll burble a bit just to bump you again ;)

I'm pretty sure the UK is the same as here. We don't have any subject called pre-algebra, but from looking at the Wiki article, we do pretty much the same stuff. We also spiral so don't do geometry and algebra etc as separate subjects as I think you do. By the end, I think we end up in much the same place.

Rosie

I'm pretty sure the UK is the same as here. We don't have any subject called pre-algebra, but from looking at the Wiki article, we do pretty much the same stuff. We also spiral so don't do geometry and algebra etc as separate subjects as I think you do. By the end, I think we end up in much the same place.

Rosie

I don't know about MEP, but in general UK maths does all subjects each year, spiralling through and raising the level year by year. For example, Calvin's maths book (roughly US 8th grade age) includes chapters on numbers, decimals, fraction, index numbers, percentages, equations and inequations, indices and algebra, sequences, using formulae, Pythagoras, area and volume, simultaneous equations, graphs, equations and brackets, probablility, transformations, ratio and proportion, intro to trigonometry, more trigonometry, looking at data. The continuing programme (probably called GCSE) would still be mixed maths.

Laura

Thanks for the bumps and the input.

This post was on the MEP Yahoo group this morning:

MEP yrs 7,8,and 9 are basically the same as yrs 4,5, and 6. Yrs 7,8,and 9 are intended for older children, while 4,5,and 6 are not as dry so appeal to the younger set...but the material is the same. If a child completes yr6 and does well they could do GCSE OR...could begin a traditional Algebra 1 class (non-MEP) or perhaps skip A1 and begin Geometry (A2 is review of A1 plus more, so strong students could skip it and then just review and take the intermediate portions taught in A2 in 10-11th grades).

My dd who is now in a non-MEP Algebra 1 class (8th grade), went from yr5 to A1. She found that pre-A was what was taught in yr5. She is a strong maths student so take that into account.

I hope I have not further confused you, but it sounds like you would want to do GCSE or go to A1.

This explains why no one here uses MEP for HS, I suppose!:lol:

From that post, I think MEP 6 would certainly be equivalent to our pre-algebra programs, or certainly at least some of them.