Menu

Please help me categorize "toxic non-foods"

Someone on this forum coined and/or used the term "toxic non-foods" to describe things in our food which are neither food nor safe. I hope you don't mind that I have adopted this term for my very own.

Anyway, I would like to take a poll about which types of "toxic non-foods" are most reviled by the members of the hive. But to do this, I would like to first put these food contaminants into categories. Can you please review my categories and comment on 1) categories which I have completely omitted 2) categories which should be further subdivided (although I am already at 10 categories) 3) members which are listed in the wrong category 4) additional members which should be listed for a category and 5) anything else you would like to criticize (as if I could stop you! ;))?

Categories of Toxic Non-Foods:

On the label:

- Excitotoxins (Toxic chemicals similar to naturally-occurring molecules such as MSG (D-glutamic acid), Aspartame (aspartyl-L-phenylalanine methyl ester), etc.)

- Preservatives (BHT, nitrites, nitrates, etc.)

- Highly-processed food products (high-fructose corn syrup, gelatin, hydrogenated things, etc.)

- Unnatural foods (genetically modified soy, corn or beef, in-vitro meat-like substances like quorn, etc.)

- Allergens (peanuts, soy, gluten, dairy, corn, etc.)

- Food cosmetics (colors, dyes, color stabilizers, chemical thickeners, etc.)

Not on the label:

- Chemicals used on the plant/animal that will later become food (pesticides, growth hormones, antibiotics, etc.)

- Materials leaching from product packaging (Bisphenol A (BPA), estrogens, heavy metals, etc.)

- Pathogens (e. coli, etc.)

- Toxins from the food's environment (Mercury in fish, lead or radiactive materials in soils, etc.)

- Foods raised in a cruel environment (Cattle, chickens, hogs, etc.)

I realize that not all of the above will be considered "toxic" by everyone, but I think that all of the above will be considered "toxic" by someone, so I want to keep the label.

Finally, if someone knows of a website which already has all of these "toxic non-foods" nicely categorized, can you please provide it? TIA!

For posterity's sake, here is the original list that I posted:

- Pesticides (Foods which have been exposed to toxic pesticides during growth which may still remain at the time of consumption.)

- Growth hormones (Foods grown with growth hormones which likely remain at the time of consumption)

- Antibiotics (Foods grown in unhealthy conditions and filled with antibiotics to help keep them alive until sent to the market)

- Materials leaching from product packaging (Bisphenol A (BPA), estrogens, heavy metals, etc.)

- Toxic chemicals similar to naturally-occurring molecules (MSG (D-glutamic acid), Aspartame (aspartyl-L-phenylalanine methyl ester), etc.)

- Highly-processed food products (high-fructose corn syrup, gelatin, etc.)

- Genetically-modified versions of some species (Monsanto corn and soy beans, beef(?), etc.)

- Pathogens (e-Coli, etc.)

- Non-food additives used as emulsifiers, thickeners, etc. (TSP (trisodium phosphate), etc.)

Edited by RegGuheert
Updated list with inputs from others. Divided by "On the label" and "Not on the label".

I'll take a stab at "new categories" -- In vitro (vat grown) meat.

http://www.peta.org/feat_in_vitro_contest.asp

The reason I wrote "foods that rats won't eat" is that awhile ago I was reading up on Quorn, which is indeed a meat substitute pretty popular in the UK at least. It is a mycoprotein produced in vats. It tastes okay but I had reservations about really using it in home cooking (for one thing, it is easy to overcook). I poked around on the web and came across a couple of blog comments about how rats and dogs won't eat it, and how the Quorn factory seems to have no rodent problems. I know it is all hearsay, but you know, Quorn is not so terribly tasty and inexpensive that I really care to mess with it.

I can hardly wait to see the contenders for the PETA vat meat prize. I can only imagine ...

Chantilly Farms Faux Meatballs and Rat Repellant -- Synthesized using only the freshest 100% Organic Solvents

Someone on this forum coined and/or used the term "toxic non-foods" to describe things in our food which are neither food nor safe. I hope you don't mind that I have adopted this term for my very own.

Anyway, I would like to take a poll about which types of "toxic non-foods" are most reviled by the members of the hive. But to do this, I would like to first put these food contaminants into categories. Can you please review my categories and comment on 1) categories which I have completely omitted 2) categories which should be further subdivided (although I am already at 10 categories) 3) members which are listed in the wrong category 4) additional members which should be listed for a category and 5) anything else you would like to criticize (as if I could stop you! ;))?

- Pesticides (Foods which have been exposed to toxic pesticides during growth which may still remain at the time of consumption.)

- Growth hormones (Foods grown with growth hormones which likely remain at the time of consumption)

- Antibiotics (Foods grown in unhealthy conditions and filled with antibiotics to help keep them alive until sent to the market)

- Toxic chemicals similar to naturally-occurring molecules (MSG (D-glutamic acid), Aspartame (aspartyl-L-phenylalanine methyl ester), etc.)

- Highly-processed food products (high-fructose corn syrup, gelatin, etc.)

- Genetically-modified versions of some species (Monsanto corn and soy beans, beef(?), etc.)

- Pathogens (e-Coli, etc.)

- Non-food additives used as emulsifiers, thickeners, etc. (TSP (trisodium phosphate), etc.)

I realize that not all of the above will be considered "toxic" by everyone, but I think that all of the above will be considered "toxic" by someone, so I want to keep the label.

Finally, if someone knows of a website which already has all of these "toxic non-foods" nicely categorized, can you please provide it? TIA!

Great list! I think I might start with two categories first: Intentional and unintentional toxins, and then further categorize. Although there would be some gray area- I'm not sure where you would put pesticides.

Just a thought.

I'll take a stab at "new categories" -- In vitro (vat grown) meat.
:ack2: Ewww!! (Sorry in advance) Is there NOTHING the British will not eat?! :confused:

O.K. I'll add a category for this

Artificial dyes?
Would artificial flavors/colors belong to the last category?
Artificial dyes and colors needs to be in there, also.

I may be combining categories in order to make a poll, but we'll find some way to fit them in.

It's amazing just how MANY ways there are to mess up our food supply!

These are categorized as Excitotoxins

I love the idea of this list!

Thanks! I'll use that label.
Great list! I think I might start with two categories first: Intentional and unintentional toxins, and then further categorize. Although there would be some gray area- I'm not sure where you would put pesticides.

Just a thought.

I think those are good categories. I'll see how to incorporate them.

In the end, I'm thinking there will be precisely 9 categories (plus "Other"). Or ten...

Another may be additives to prevent color change. Is it sulfur dioxide that is added to dried fruit to help it stay brightly colored?

Maybe there could be a category of food cosmetics LOL The additives that are only for beauty.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Thanks! I'll use that label.I think those are good categories. I'll see how to incorporate them.

In the end, I'm thinking there will be precisely 9 categories (plus "Other"). Or ten...

Oh, I forgot you were doing a poll. I guess that wouldn't really be helpful for a poll. I was thinking maybe you were going to write a blog post or research paper or something. Sorry.

Another may be additives to prevent color change. Is it sulfur dioxide that is added to dried fruit to help it stay brightly colored?

Maybe there could be a category of food cosmetics LOL The additives that are only for beauty.

I like it! Food cosmetics! That covers a lot of the "other" additives. Thanks!

Oh, I forgot you were doing a poll. I guess that wouldn't really be helpful for a poll. I was thinking maybe you were going to write a blog post or research paper or something. Sorry.
I am going to make a poll, but we can continue this thread regarding what makes sense for categories (without limits). I can update the OP with a list that makes sense to us. Sometimes I find it helpful to put things into categories just to try to get my hands around a subject. Thanks again!

According to NT, anything hydrogenatedshould not be eaten.

Also, say away from the nitrites and nitrates as well as artificial color which often goes by "Blue # 5, etc.

Hi Liz, I'm pretty sure "hydrogenated" is not in the New Testament, so I'm thinking there may be another "NT." :tongue_smilie: Would you mind telling me what it is?

I think nitrates and nitrites are preservatives and we are going to put color into the new "food cosmetics" category. Where do you think "anything hydrogenated" belongs?

Hi Liz, I'm pretty sure "hydrogenated" is not in the New Testament, so I'm thinking there may be another "NT." :tongue_smilie: Would you mind telling me what it is?

I think nitrates and nitrites are preservatives and we are going to put color into the new "food cosmetics" category. Where do you think "anything hydrogenated" belongs?

:lol: No, indeed, it is not from the New Testament but my abbreviation for the book "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. She was or still is instrumental in reversing the "no fat" and "low fat" trend of eating and is often pointing out that we need good fats for all kinds of metabolic functions.

Anyway, 'Hydrogenated" in her book is listed in the Category "New-Fangled Foods/Ingredients" (versus traditional, nourishing foods) - great name, eh? Do you have a category by that name already? If not, I'd stick it into the "Highly Processed" one. Fallon also calls anything hydrogenated denatured.

Edited by Liz CA