Menu

Tadpole help?

We just got 4 tadpoles from our local pond, and they are now in an aquarium, in our schoolroom. Dd also scooped up a bunch of little snails that were in the pond also. I've been online, checking the FAQ's, but wanted to see if anyone here had other words of wisdom.:001_smile: Dd is very fond of them already, and I want to do everything I can to help them live until we release them!

They aren't super tiny (maybe 3/4" body and 1 1/2" tails) but have no legs yet. Our water is well water, so there is no chlorine in it. I know we're supposed to change the water, but am wondering what to do about the snails. Maybe put them back?:confused:

Thanks!

We just got 4 tadpoles from our local pond, and they are now in an aquarium, in our schoolroom. Dd also scooped up a bunch of little snails that were in the pond also. I've been online, checking the FAQ's, but wanted to see if anyone here had other words of wisdom.:001_smile: Dd is very fond of them already, and I want to do everything I can to help them live until we release them!

They aren't super tiny (maybe 3/4" body and 1 1/2" tails) but have no legs yet. Our water is well water, so there is no chlorine in it. I know we're supposed to change the water, but am wondering what to do about the snails. Maybe put them back?:confused:

Thanks!

Keep them in the warmest place in the house. We had tadpoles once that died of old age because the air conditioning vent was cooling the water. They sort-of grew hind legs, but never absorbed their tails. After 4.5 months, they were floaters.

Barb

You all are so smart.

We got a bunch of wild tadpoles one year from a local pond. Got them home, and I couldn't figure out what to do with them. I needed something to make a natural pond setting for them.

I had the brilliant idea to use a plastic microwave plate cover. We put landscaping in, very artfully if I do say so myself. I filled the plate cover with pond water, fresh from the pond. We gently poured the tadpoles in it.

The next day, the pond was nearly dry! How did that happen? I didn't know water evaporated that fast! My gosh, it's a good thing I homeschool, or I would have never known that!

So I hurried up and drove 45 minutes round trip out to the pond and got a couple of gallons of pond water. This wasn't going to happen again. Luckily the remaining water hadn't evaporated by the time I returned.

I filled up our "pond" and the tadpoles were still alive. I got busy, let a day or two go by, and the pond was dry and the tadpoles were dead.

How? The microwave plate cover has many, many steam holes around its perimeter, that's how. I didn't know that. One of the kids pointed it out to me.

RC

the only leaky ship around here is my brain

Edited by RoughCollie

I have mine in an aquarium. We just change out the water from the pond every week or so. We got some frog/tadpole pellets from petsmart. Make sure you put a rock or some way for them to get out of the water once they start to breathe air or else they drown!

Also, I wouldn't worry about the snails too much. They should actually help to keep your tank clean!

Hope all goes well!

Thanks!

I just killed two batches of tadpoles here... we have well water, but it's treated, and I'm sure that's what did it (each time they died right after I changed out the water). If you have any kind of treatment/softening system I'd be careful. ;)

Our tadpole is now a frog... Still aren't sure if he's a green frog or a bull frog, but he's a frog and not a toad like we were told.

They will eat anything they can get in their mouths... goldfish food, minnows, meal worms...turtle food.

Now, granted we have a 20 gal. tank, with a heater, and a heat lamp (we have a turtle too). You need to keep the water "warm enough" so they will change.

Your best bet would be to go to PetSmart and they will help you out.

We don't do anything special to our filtered well-water, but we do have to continually add water to it. You need to change a minimum of 25% of the water each week, or if you don't have a filter -- clean the bowl/tank each week.

Have fun.

We just kept ours out on the porch in a basin. We put a rock or 2 in it and filled it up from time to time with well water. We did make some boiled lettuce to feed them. They almost all turned into frogs and hopped away.