Menu

best pencil grip device for a 4 yo?

My two favorites are the claw and the crossbow. Both have worked very effectively here. Sorry, I can't find a link for the crossbow one. :( I'll keep looking...

ETA: I found the product, but not a write-up on it. Someone else linked it on these boards a few weeks back because they were very pleased with the results after having their dc use it.

My daughter hated the fat pencils they made her use in Kindergarten. At home she used regular mechanical pencils and they're even better with the regular foam grips - the things that come in a package of a dozen or so of different colors. There are different shapes available, but I would think trial and error would be the best way to find what works for him.

My two favorites are the claw and the crossbow. Both have worked very effectively here. Sorry, I can't find a link for the crossbow one. :( I'll keep looking...

ETA: I found the product, but not a write-up on it. Someone else linked it on these boards a few weeks back because they were very pleased with the results after having their dc use it.

Here's alatexan68's rave over the Crossover...

Also make the pencils really short is an easy way to improve the grip. You can also buy triangular shaped pencils.

We really have liked the Ticonderoga TriWrites (found at several school supply places like Mardel). And now Crayola makes triangle shaped crayons (found recently at Michaels). It's worked wonders even for my dd (who is 9) in preventing fatigue. They make the TriWrites in the fat size for preschoolers but they are heavy for my small guy so we stick with the reg #2.

• 4 months later...
Guest nikjem

Its, Tri-go Pencil Grip This pencil grip encourages correct finger placement by providing three holes where fingers set; the biggest hole is for the thumb. This grip can easily be used by either right or left-handed students.