Menu

Book suggestions in Latin (prose)

I would like to add some Latin reading to my daughter's schedule. Could anyone suggest readings they have enjoyed? Our history focus will be on Ancient Greece and colonial America and our science focus will be botony, earth science and marine science.

I found Columbus' First Voyage at the Bolchazy site.

http://www.bolchazy.com/prod.php?cat=latin&id=6137

And I found The Life of Washington and a few biographies of ancient Greeks at the Perseus Digital Library.

I will be looking through these over the next few weeks. Could anyone recommend any other Latin readings I could look into? Either online readings or books for purchase would be fine. I would like to avoid the standard readings that would be included in a study of Ancient Rome or used on the SAT II/AP tests as she will cover those later.

Thanks!

Well they are definitely not standard reading for SAT subject or AP Latin tests, but my daughter enjoyed reading the following books in Latin for fun ~

Asterix Olympius by Rene de Goscinny (Tr. Rubricastellanus)

Asterix Iter Gallicum by Rene de Goscinny (Tr. Rubricastellanus)

There are other Asterix Latin titles that are in print. We borrowed some through inter-library loan as they are quite pricey.

Regards,

Kareni

Edited by Kareni

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into those. In fact I may already have Winnie ille Pu. I now remember purchasing a couple of books a year or two ago and thinking my girls were nowhere near that reading ability at the time. I had better go dig them out.

I'll PM Ester Maria as well.

I did find a site that may have some works of science on it.

http://www.hs-augsburg.de/~harsch/augusta.html#la