Menu

Another Vit D question - what brand do you take?

I just had my D level checked. It was 11.8. Dr wants to call in an rx for 50,000 IU tabs to be taken weekly. I would rather buy something not made my a pharmaceutical company. What high dosage, high quality brand do you take? Please share brand names and dosages, if you don't mind. Also, have you noticed a difference in things since you started taking it? What things, specifically (again, if you don't mind :)).

Thanks,

We take Carlson D drops in the 2,000iu/drop solution. We take 1,000iu per 25lbs of body weight per day (except on summer days spent in the sun with minimal clothing/sunblock). I would take up to 50,000iu in a day if I felt an illness coming on this winter, or realized I'd missed several days in a row. Even so, my D levels are up to an acceptable number, but not yet at what my doctor would consider ideal. I hoping more sunshine in the summer months will help. :)

For me the most obvious differences once I got my levels up out of the "severely deficient" range were a significant lessening in my Raynaud's symptoms and a pretty drastic reduction in my end-of-day joint aches and pains. I can't say it's just the D causing these changes, though it certainly seems related. We also managed to avoid most illness this past winter, which was nice, and ds did not suffer with as many asthma symptoms this winter as he has in the past.

When I read up on this last fall, viewpoint often was that 2000 units per day is the maximum safe dosage from all ingested sources. Check for yourself, though. (I fervently support individuals researching matters for themselves.)

Currently, I use Whole Foods Market store brand gel capsules.

We take Carlson D drops in the 2,000iu/drop solution. We take 1,000iu per 25lbs of body weight per day (except on summer days spent in the sun with minimal clothing/sunblock). I would take up to 50,000iu in a day if I felt an illness coming on this winter, or realized I'd missed several days in a row. Even so, my D levels are up to an acceptable number, but not yet at what my doctor would consider ideal. I hoping more sunshine in the summer months will help. :)

For me the most obvious differences once I got my levels up out of the "severely deficient" range were a significant lessening in my Raynaud's symptoms and a pretty drastic reduction in my end-of-day joint aches and pains. I can't say it's just the D causing these changes, though it certainly seems related. We also managed to avoid most illness this past winter, which was nice, and ds did not suffer with as many asthma symptoms this winter as he has in the past.

Were you able to raise your levels with just the Carlson?

I have shellfish and iodine allergies, so I called Carlson (some of whose products I'm afraid to take because of the shellfish thing) to see what thier source for the D drops was - it's lanolin. That is good news :).

Were you able to raise your levels with just the Carlson?

Yes, though after 6 months it was merely up to the lower end of normal, and not up to where my rheumatologist's practice prefers to see people. I should have it rechecked at some point.

Please share brand names and dosages, if you don't mind. Also, have you noticed a difference in things since you started taking it? What things, specifically (again, if you don't mind :)).

Thanks,

We just buy some OTC, Spring Valley Vitamin D3. I get the 5000 IUD for us when they have it so we aren't taking so many pills.

My husband and I have not had a single cold or flu this year. Prior to this year, we had caught a case of the flu from his co-workers that past 3 winters, and multiple colds from the homeschool group kids. Our own kids even caught one cold this year and we didn't catch so much as a sniffle (and believe me our two year old kissed, hugged, rubbed, drooled on us and even slept with us).

I don't feel as groggy or fuzzy brained as I used to, and that's saying a lot because I'm pregnant. I've had none of that "Mommy brain" business this time around. I'm less forgetful, less moody, and didn't seem to get the usual case of SAD.

That's all I can really think of off the top of my head. I'm not a good person to give info about this right now because I did make some dietary changes and get pregnant so I'm not always sure what changes are tied to what.

I also just started taking 50,000 IU of D a few weeks ago, with blood levels at a 10. Too soon to be able to answer your questions about results. I do have more energy these days, but I also just started a whole foods diet and drinking some nasty, green vegtable powder!

Anyway here's my source. www.bio-tech-pharm.com

The product is D3-50 and is on the second page (which is easy to miss)

$30.00 for 100 capsules.

I don't believe this is a pharmaceutical in the traditional sense. And I trust the quality since it is manufactured in the US.

Best Wishes.

I also just started taking 50,000 IU of D a few weeks ago, with blood levels at a 10. Too soon to be able to answer your questions about results. I do have more energy these days, but I also just started a whole foods diet and drinking some nasty, green vegtable powder!

Anyway here's my source. www.bio-tech-pharm.com

The product is D3-50 and is on the second page (which is easy to miss)

$30.00 for 100 capsules.

I don't believe this is a pharmaceutical in the traditional sense. And I trust the quality since it is manufactured in the US.

Best Wishes.

Is this your prescription, or do you personally order this?

Thanks,

It was "prescribed" for me by my GYN, meaning he recommended the course of treatment and referred me to this source/website. However, Vitamin D - even at this level - is not a prescription drug, so I was able to simply order it for myself with a credit card. I chose to call their 800 number to place the order, and the service representative was very friendly and helpful. I'm certain they would answer any questions you have.