Menu

Can you tell me about Math-U-See at the HS level?

I have a love/hate relationship with Teaching Textbooks. My kids are both pretty auditory in their learning styles, though, so the out-loud instruction works well for both of them.

I've just looked at Math-U-See for the first time (I have no idea why I never explored this option!) and I really, really like what I see. The text looks really good for my older dd, who is dyslexic and freaks at the sight of a Saxon book. I like the layout, the number of problems, and the amount of review for each unit.

If you've used it at the Pre-Alg & higher levels, have you been happy with it? I know TT has lots of detractors (with reason) but I haven't heard a peep about MUS. I'd love to hear the good, bad and ugly.

Thanks!

We are TT to MUS converts! TT's teaching style did NOT work for my kids---new terminology, too busy, not enough practice of new concept and different teaching method than I knew so I had a tough time helping out. I LOVE the MUS approach to Algebra----it's been a real breakthrough for my dd who is just now really understanding what the heck she is doing with Algebra---in 11th grade! I know that MUS is not considered the most rigorous program on this board----but it is working out so well for both of my kids right now and I LOVE the way Steve Demme teaches and approaches math that I will never switch again.

We are TT to MUS converts! TT's teaching style did NOT work for my kids---new terminology, too busy, not enough practice of new concept and different teaching method than I knew so I had a tough time helping out. I LOVE the MUS approach to Algebra----it's been a real breakthrough for my dd who is just now really understanding what the heck she is doing with Algebra---in 11th grade! I know that MUS is not considered the most rigorous program on this board----but it is working out so well for both of my kids right now and I LOVE the way Steve Demme teaches and approaches math that I will never switch again.

Thanks for your response. I agree with your assessment of TT, I feel like my daughter is not getting much out of it, even though her scores are good. There's a lot of jumping around, lots of mixed review, but not much practice with the skill that's taught in the lesson. My younger is in TT4, and I'm thinking of switching her out for next year... my older is ready for Pre-Alg and I think I'm leaning toward MUS after buying 2 levels of TT and really hating them both.

It seems the positive reviews I see of MUS are from kids that have used it all the way through. I'm hoping it's not too late for my middle schooler!

We tried to go from TT pre-Algebra to MUS Algebra 1 and it did not work. Dd was not well enough prepared for MUS Algebra 1. We had used TT for math 7 and pre-algebra. Dd did very well and her test scores (in TT) were good. However, MUS assumes dc have a certain knowledge base and that they are prepared for the course. We did not find this to be the case. MUS is well presented. I've heard complaints on this board that it is not rigorous enough, but folks locally (IRL) have had good results. I would have been happy with the program had dd been prepared. We were given Saxon 1/2 so I've gone that route to prepare her. I was very surprised. As well as dd was doing in TT, I expected her to be ready for any Algebra 1 course. Unfortunately, this was not the case.

We tried to go from TT pre-Algebra to MUS Algebra 1 and it did not work. Dd was not well enough prepared for MUS Algebra 1. We had used TT for math 7 and pre-algebra. Dd did very well and her test scores (in TT) were good. However, MUS assumes dc have a certain knowledge base and that they are prepared for the course. We did not find this to be the case. MUS is well presented. I've heard complaints on this board that it is not rigorous enough, but folks locally (IRL) have had good results. I would have been happy with the program had dd been prepared. We were given Saxon 1/2 so I've gone that route to prepare her. I was very surprised. As well as dd was doing in TT, I expected her to be ready for any Algebra 1 course. Unfortunately, this was not the case.

Yep here too! DS had just finished TT Pre-Alg, and looking at the placement tests for MUS I realized he would have to do the MUS Pre Alg. Really glad he did, though, because the TT Pre-Alg is VERY weak compared to MUS because it seems to just cover mostly basic math operations. I would definitely recommend starting with MUS sequence with their Pre-Alg.