Menu

Math options

We have a few years before we hit algebra, geometry, etc, but I'd like to see our direction ahead of time. When I learned math in school, it was all very formulaic and abstract - I couldn't apply what I learned or really understand what I was doing. I love teaching my kids math now because I actually get it. It has meaning. We use blocks & pictures & real life scenarios: it makes sense. I'm learning how to apply math in different ways. I love how visual & hands-on math is these days. I'm worried though that more mature math will have more mature teaching methods. I'm afraid to loose the blocks & pictures that really help me to see what's going on behind the numbers. What higher level maths are out there that continues to use these types of teaching methods? We've been using BJU (I've taught K-3rd so far at home). I'm looking at math from grades 7 or 8-12 (pre-alg, alg, geometry, etc.) I'd like my kids to have mental math skills & the ability to apply what they know to different situations (story problems, and thinking skills) So what's out there and what's good? Does BJU continue to teach in a similar manner? Does Math U See do this higher up? Anything else I could look in to? I may get books early and use them myself, to learn the things I didn't get the first time through in school.

Life of Fred is all about math in "real-life" situations (assuming a 5 yo professor with a square head and a pet llama is "real" LOL). It doesn't use manipulatives, but there are lots of illustrations that will likely stick in your mind long after you've read the books! :D

Jackie

Life of Fred is all about math in "real-life" situations (assuming a 5 yo professor with a square head and a pet llama is "real" LOL). It doesn't use manipulatives, but there are lots of illustrations that will likely stick in your mind long after you've read the books! :D
:iagree: Life of Fred is written in story form, so many people feel that it doesn't REALLY count as a full curriculum. It DOES count, and has the problems and real life situations and is fun to use!