Menu

Language arts for 6 yr old

bry's-gal

I would add Writing With Ease 1 as well, if the child is able to print fairly comfortably at this point. (If not, I would simply continue to work on daily handwriting / copywork until he's ready.)

I've been very happy with FLL 1/2, both for the basic foundation of grammar it has given each of my kids, and for the ease and comfort of doing a program where we just snuggle up on the couch together to do grammar. It does move a little slowly for my kids, so I'd just encourage you to be willing to skim lessons and move faster *if* your child is ready to move ahead at any point.

Truly though, I find it has been a great beginning for both of my kids. And in teaching other children Latin, I find the ones who had started with FLL in first or second grade are much better prepared than children who had not.

We've been using Explode the Code and doing copy work, dictation and journal writing on our own. She is an excellent writer for her age and I haven't done a formal spelling program. She seems to pick up on spelling on her own with a few minor corrections that seem to sink in. If I see a problem word that keeps popping up, I will work it into our copy work or dictation.

I'll have to look at Writing with Ease.

Should I move on to something else once she finishes up the Explode the Code? We've been using Beyond the Code a few days a week and she is reading at a late 1st grade level.

Is Writing with Ease the same as the Complete Writer?

Yes, the Complete Writer text covers 4 years of skills, but with lessons plans for approximately every 4th week. The workbooks for each level are already planned out for each week, and you can use the workbooks without the main text.