Menu

Why SWB says NOT to Outline Literature??? (Colleen??)

Pam B

My understanding from SWB's lecture is that outlining is just for non-fiction. With literature (fiction) you discuss some or all of the discussion questions (depending on age and ability), and have the child write about those. I think it's mainly because literature doesn't really lend itself to outlining.

Okay, so I should have DC answer the "questions for a novel or story" when doing fiction?

Yes.

There are times that I have dd or my high school students do a simple, brief timeline of a story just to keep events straight. I do NOT require this for all the fiction we read--only for those works that have high potential for confusion.

I concur that doing at outline for fiction is frustrating and will detract from the process.

Yes.

There are times that I have dd or my high school students do a simple, brief timeline of a story just to keep events straight. I do NOT require this for all the fiction we read--only for those works that have high potential for confusion.

I concur that doing at outline for fiction is frustrating and will detract from the process.

that's a really good idea. I like that! I'll have to make a note to do that every so often.