Menu

I'm considering the Art of Problem Solving Algebra I class for the fall.

I have read many rave reviews about the other AoPS classes (Number Theory, Counting & Prob, Geometry, etc.) but would really appreciate

feedback from anyone who has specifically completed the Algebra 1 class.

I've heard the class moves quickly. Do you feel your child has received a solid Algebra foundation? Or did you supplement AoPS with something else?

TIA!

Hi Nancy, thanks for the link! :001_smile:

I did see that thread, however most of the posters had experience with other AoPS classes. The one poster had experience with Alg 1 sounded like an afterschooler, so it sounded like she was supplementing a traditional Algebra class.

I'm really drawn to the class, but because Algebra is so important for upper level math I want to be sure it's enough.

I'm considering the Art of Problem Solving Algebra I class for the fall.

I have read many rave reviews about the other AoPS classes (Number Theory, Counting & Prob, Geometry, etc.) but would really appreciate

feedback from anyone who has specifically completed the Algebra 1 class.

I've heard the class moves quickly. Do you feel your child has received a solid Algebra foundation? Or did you supplement AoPS with something else?

TIA!

My son completed the AoPS Algebra 1 class. We felt it was better than his high school class which was a breeze for him after AoPS. His high school uses McDouglall-Littell's Algebra 1: An Integrated Approach text -- good but (we felt) not as deep as AoPS.

HTH! :)

My son completed the AoPS Algebra 1 class. We felt it was better than his high school class which was a breeze for him after AoPS. His high school uses McDouglall-Littell's Algebra 1: An Integrated Approach text -- good but (we felt) not as deep as AoPS.

MBM, so it sounds like your son already had algebra once (in high school) before AoPS.

It seems as though many people are using the AoPS Algebra as a supplement and not the sole curriculum.

I'd really like to avoid two programs if possible...:)

MBM, so it sounds like your son already had algebra once (in high school) before AoPS.

It seems as though many people are using the AoPS Algebra as a supplement and not the sole curriculum.

I'd really like to avoid two programs if possible...:)

Oops. I should clarify my former post. My son took AoPS Algebra 1 before high school Algebra 1. I've never thoroughly compared his high school book to AoPS, but he often didn't do his homework for school (lol -- I don't condone that!) and managed to get As. He was not very challenged in that class, which was considered advanced, so it seems AoPS gave him a solid foundation.

You could ask Richard Rusczk from AoPS if he feels his class could be used by itself. He is very forthcoming, has put a lot of thought into his classes and really wants to help students learn their math.

You could also post a question for students on one of the AoPS forums. They are a helpful bunch, too.

HTH! :)

Handmaiden, I just asked my husband, who is more familiar with AoPS, NEM, etc., if he thought AoPS could stand alone, and he felt it definitely could. It's probably better for kids who grasp math concepts well and enjoy challenging math. The class would be good especially if a parent's forte is not math. In that case, the student could discuss difficult problems with the teacher or other students. Some of the problems are definitely challenging!

Hi, Handmaiden, I was all set to have my dd take this course this summer. However, I am not sure it would be a good idea for her to do Algebra I over the summer only. I have thought about having her do the class and then still take a regular Algebra I class starting in in the fall. If she likes AoPS, I'd like her to continue to supplement with their courses over the summer. So, I don't know if I should start with Algebra I this summer or just wait until next summer for one of their other courses that are recommended to be taken after Algebra I.

Anyway, decisions, decisions.

Cleo: hope your son finds success with it!

MBM: that makes sense now, LOL. Thanks for your feedback.

Violet: I understand your predicament; it sounds similar to mine. Btw, did you know that the Algebra 1 class only covers half of the Intro to Algebra book? Their Algebra 2 class covers the second half. Their Intermediate Algebra book is what schools normally teach as Algebra 2, but AoPS calls that class Algebra 3. It can be a bit confusing.

All that said, Algebra is such a foundational math level that I don't want to rush my ds through it, especially since he need to tackle a lot of math in the years ahead to pursue engineering or science as a career.

Cleo: hope your son finds success with it!

MBM: that makes sense now, LOL. Thanks for your feedback.

Violet: I understand your predicament; it sounds similar to mine. Btw, did you know that the Algebra 1 class only covers half of the Intro to Algebra book? Their Algebra 2 class covers the second half. Their Intermediate Algebra book is what schools normally teach as Algebra 2, but AoPS calls that class Algebra 3. It can be a bit confusing.

All that said, Algebra is such a foundational math level that I don't want to rush my ds through it, especially since he need to tackle a lot of math in the years ahead to pursue engineering or science as a career.

Yes, I did realize that about them only covering half of the Intro to Algebra book. That's why I think I will have her spend next year on Algebra anyway. So, again, not sure whether to start her with AoPS this summer or add it in sometime next year.

• 2 weeks later...

My son is currently working independently through the AOPS Introduction to Algebra text, and I have compared it chapter-by-chapter with his school's California Glencoe Algebra I book. The topics covered in the online Algebra 1 class (first half of the book) match up with the content of the Glencoe book, albeit in greater depth. The second half of the AOPS book covers topics usually encountered in Algebra 2, at least in California.

My son is currently working independently through the AOPS Introduction to Algebra text, and I have compared it chapter-by-chapter with his school's California Glencoe Algebra I book. The topics covered in the online Algebra 1 class (first half of the book) match up with the content of the Glencoe book, albeit in greater depth. The second half of the AOPS book covers topics usually encountered in Algebra 2, at least in California.

Laurie, thanks for your feedback. The author of the AoPS text did say somewhere that they do cover some traditional Alg 2 concepts in the Algebra 1 book.

However, your post made me wonder: are you saying that all topics in the Glencoe book are covered in the first half of the AoPS Algebra 1 book?

Btw, did you know that the Algebra 1 class only covers half of the Intro to Algebra book? Their Algebra 2 class covers the second half. Their Intermediate Algebra book is what schools normally teach as Algebra 2, but AoPS calls that class Algebra 3. It can be a bit confusing.

I'm really drawn to the class, but because Algebra is so important for upper level math I want to be sure it's enough.

Richard Rusczyk has written: "I would describe our Intro Algebra as Algebra 1 plus much of Algebra 2, and our Intermediate Algebra as Algebra 2 plus the non-trig portions of precalculus plus some other algebraic topics that are omitted from the standard curriculum (some of these are described in the foreword as being inessential to the non-diehard math student, and can be skipped safely." AoPS Algebra books do not align with the standard curriculum, as they don't have to meet state standards.

I am certain it would be "enough" (and way more)! You could ask Kathy in Richmond (who is busy right now with college visits!) -- her kids have done all the AoPS books and courses, and are TAs and graders for AoPS. We just began using the books last fall, but my younger son is eating them up. What impressed me the most is the teaching style of the books (took me a while to get used to -- they give you some problems to chew on, and THEN they talk about the concept) and the depth of the coverage and problems. They include problems in every section that will make a math PhD pull out the scratch paper & start puzzling ... if you watch the lecture Mr Rusczyk gave that Kathy posted over on the Accelerated Learner board, he talks about the "tyranny of 100%" (among many other topics) -- how kids should be challenged and *not* be able to get every problem in the book right. SO different from the usual math book. We love love love them!!!!

Oh, and as Mr R says above, Alg. 3 is basically part of what is called precalculus. I was going to have my boys take the AoPS Alg. 3 class (we're doing precalculus now), but decided we should cover the topic ourselves first, as the pace of the class is quite brisk! We have their precalculus book, and it is mostly the trig parts of "precalculus." And one more thing -- they have pre- and post-tests for all their classes posted on their website. You can see for yourself if your child is ready for or has mastered the content of each course.

~Laura