Menu

Help- just starting

NotSoObvious

We will be new to homeschooling next year!

My twins are in 2nd grade now, but I want to buy 2nd grade curriculum to use this summer, then move onto 3rd grade when they are ready. They are both very bright girls who do not struggle academically, but I know they have some gaps in the basics and I want to make sure we cover those first.

Anyhow, I was thinking of ordering the Language and Writing programs from WTM. Can anyone offer advice on these programs? Do I need the workbooks as well?

I notice a lot of you use the Rod and Staff program. We aren't Christian, but I am not opposed to using religious-based material as long as it isn't all based on Bible verses, stories, etc. Do most of you use it for religious reasons, or is it superior to the First Language Lessons that go with WTM? Can you recommend any other Language programs? I know of Shurley, but that's it.

For history, I am interested in SOTW, but am not sure where to start. I am tempted to buy volumes 1 and 2 to gloss over this summer, but want to hit Volume 3 hard since that seems to be closely related to what they are missing in public school here in third grade.

Advice? Again, do I need the coloring pages, workbook pages...

I am tempted to not buy a math program for a few reasons. I know where my kids' gaps are and already have resources for basic math. I would like to incorporate as much real-life experience as possible into this area. (I am currently a teacher and will be bringing SO much curriculum home with me at the end of the year.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

OK Rod and staff is a very sound course! It is very thorough in content and above most other (in terms of usability) It does deal with bible verses and such, although I am a Christian and plan on switching to it next year I do know of many who are not and use it because it is very strong.

I would recommend you do story of the world, start at level 1 and go right on through! I would not gloss over it. I started my 2nd grader at book 1 and I find it will be very easy to have her "caught up" in time to start the next cycle through in 5th grade when she should. If your dc are anything like mine, they will want you to read it to them even over breaks:)! The activity book I would recommend as it also contains the narration and comprehension questions as well as the map work, extra read aloud suggestions and the coloring pages.

Hope that helps!

SOTW also has audio books, if you weren't aware of that, and the history is all chronological so it's nice to start at the beginning. There are activity books that go with them, which we rarely used because ds isn't crazy about coloring, but there are some mapping activities and such as well. The audios worked well for us because ds loves audio books. I let him listen to the SOTW at his leisure. He'll shut himself in his room with the cds and his legos and I won't see him for hours! The kid knows more history than I do.

Language Arts I've always done "piece-meal", but I did use LLATL one year. That program has some nice components in it (literature based) and I really like the font they use for printing practice. It is Christian, but not blatantly - just a very nice program. (BTW, I'm not really a WTM hs'r, but have some leanings toward it. You'll find I'm rather eclectic in what I use). I've never used R & S so I can't comment there.

I've never really cared for SL LA, but they have great reading lists.

Sounds like you've got a plan for math already. I might suggest also doing things such as Pattern Blocks and Tangrams as well as Unifix Cubes. You can get books/activities to go with the blocks & tangrams. I've found Unifix Cubes to be great for patterning, counting/math problems & relationships. And all three of these are fun!

If your dc use computers, I might suggest Reader Rabbit as well as some online games. I can give you some good resources if you're interested.

HTH, and welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling! You'll be glad you joined this forum. Even if you never post again, you'll glean all kinds of info just from "lurking".

Have fun! :D

Edited by EppieJ

Hi! I have a 2nd grader too, will be 3rd next year. I just had some ideas for you on SOTW. I think you could do it a couple of ways. The first would be like a PP said, is to just start w/vol. 1 and don't gloss over it. Just jump right in and do it a year at a time. Yhey will go through the history cycles again in logic and rhetoric stages and will hit the American History in a couple of years. And doing it this way, starting your history rotations now in the ancients, yes, I would get the A.G.

or... you could buy just vol.1 and vol. 2 without the A.G., and just read them aloud w/no extra work. Doing it this way, reading a section or a chapter a day until you are done would give a quick world history overview chronologically. Then when you finish that, jump in with vol.3, using the A.G. for a full history course. You could use the audio C.Ds. for vol. 1 and 2 this way and not read yourself hoarse :tongue_smilie:

As for Rod and Staff, they are another recomendation from WTM for English. They are very thorough, and easy to use for student and parent. For us, we had already discovered R&S before we settled on WTM. When we decided to follow WTM we decided we would stick with what was already working for us (R&S) instead of switching. Yes, it is Christian. Many of the sentences to copy are about the Bible. It is very gentle and sweet though. We are not mennonite, but have no trouble w/anything in it. On the other hand, we would probably never use the social studies because of the views on certain subjects. But we LOVE everything else R&S. It is just a good fit for our family.

History - STOW. I would only cover one book per year. But, to figure out where to start, I would plan out what topics I want to cover in history before high school and work backwards. Sometimes looking at the big picture makes it easier.

Language Arts - Check out MCT

Math - Two of my favorite supplements (for 8-12 year olds) are Charlotte Mason's Your Business Math Series (you run your own store) and Hands On Equations.

Have fun and enjoy the journey!

Are you sure you want to go over 2nd grade again? There can't really be that many gaps at the 2nd grade level. :confused: Is it something you could kinda supplement and fill in while you're working with them this year?

Has anybody mentioned the Deschooling that goes on when you remove your kids from ps? My son was so stressed out that he would scream, throw himself on the floor, run to his room, etc... It takes a couple of months for them to adjust to homeschooling (where there isn't a classroom full of kids to hide behind). They also have to get used to condensed information presented one-on-one...also some kids are so used to classroom management techniques that homeschooling confuses them at first (my son used to ask when it was time for "center play"). :glare:

When I pulled my kids from ps, our biggest gaps were actually in math.

Could all three of you do Oak Meadow 3rd grade together?

We also use Writing with Ease - and it's been awesome. We use CLE LA (Christian Light Publications) and it is a very, very thorough grammar/LA program, probably similar to Rod and Staff. There is a lot of religious references in it (it's a Mennonite curriculum-but we're not Mennonite).

FLL looks great, but for FLL 3 and 4 - you need to buy the TM and the workbook (or just the TM) - but you can't get away with just buying the Student Workbook like you can with WWE.

Good luck this year! Remember, the first year of homeschooling is supposed to be the hardest. Some kids really, really do well with it, though. One of my kids has jumped several grade levels this year. I hope you have a great experience!

Anyhow, I was thinking of ordering the Language and Writing programs from WTM. Can anyone offer advice on these programs? Do I need the workbooks as well?

The WTM programs are very solid, and the workbooks certainly make it easier, since you don't have to plan your own lessons, you just open the book to the next lesson and do it.

I notice a lot of you use the Rod and Staff program. Do most of you use it for religious reasons, or is it superior to the First Language Lessons that go with WTM?

I chose not to go with R&S because it seems very religious, but it is highly recommended in the Well Trained Mind, you might want to look at samples and decide if it's right for you.

Can you recommend any other Language programs?
MCT, Winston, Shurley, and Classical Writing are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. FWIW, I plan to use MCT and Writing With Ease in third grade.

For history, I am interested in SOTW, but am not sure where to start.
I would start with volume one and either read through the first couple of volumes, before digging in to volume 3, or work through the first volume the first year and not worry about what the kids are missing in public school. I think the activity guide really adds a lot, there are plenty of activities, map work and supplemental books suggested, which really makes the information stick.

:001_smile: