Menu

SAT scores?

My sophomore took the SAT for the first time recently and he looked up his score online this morning.

Because this is our first experience with the SAT, and he doesn't get score explanations for another week or two yet, I'm not quite sure what we're looking at.

What is considered below average? Average? What is a 'good' score?

I'd like to know whether I encourage him to do any test prep (or a lot of test prep) the next time around.

Thumbnail sketch - most colleges use Math and Reading as their combined score. Writing is sometimes included, but in my experience, the combination of math and reading is the most common way to read a score.

On each section, 500 is average, so a combined score (Reading/Math) of:

1000 is 50th percentile.

1250+ is 80%ile -- VERY strong

1500 is 99%ile -- flipping awesome. :)

Here's a link to the percentiles for each score.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT

HIH!

Lisa

Thumbnail sketch - most colleges use Math and Reading as their combined score. Writing is sometimes included, but in my experience, the combination of math and reading is the most common way to read a score.

1000 is 50th percentile.

HIH!

Lisa

Thank you, Lisa!

1000 is 50th percentile.

HIH!

Lisa

Lisa, according to the Wiki site, 1500 is only the 48th percentile.

I've seen people describe anything over 1800 as a "good score" with scores over 2200 as "excellent."

My son is taking it for the first time May 1st. :)

I've seen people describe anything over 1800 as a "good score" with scores over 2200 as "excellent."

That includes all 3 sections. 500/500/500 is average. 600/600/600 is a good score. 700/700/700 would be the minimum needed for student applying to a top college unless there are special considerations (legacy, athlete, affirmative action, etc).

Most colleges place a much stronger emphasis on the math & verbal scores, which is what I think Lisa was getting at.

My son is taking it for the first time May 1st. :)

I agree that the 1500 was just meant as math and reading - which is what the majority of colleges look at. If the 1500 were extrapolated out to include writing, the corresponding score would be 2250 - excellent.

I agree that the 1500 was just meant as math and reading - which is what the majority of colleges look at. If the 1500 were extrapolated out to include writing, the corresponding score would be 2250 - excellent.

Got it! Thanks for the explanation!:)