Menu

Art program question

jclinton

We're using both and really like both!

Atelier is more expensive but the boys enjoy learning from someone other than me! It's a nice change. The lady that teaches it goes at a good pace (not too fast and not too slow), the projects are fun and use a variety of supplies (watercolor paints, color pencils, ebony pencils, ect.), and my boys like seeing the "other kids" working on their projects at the same time.

Because Atelier is pricey (but worth it!) we alternate our weeks with Artistic Pursuits. This is a great program. The explanations are clear, there is a variety of projects, and we enjoy doing the picture study that is included.

I really don't have anything "bad" to say about either program. We enjoy them and the boys are learning about different aspects of art. :001_smile:

The module I have (2A) has 6 lessons on it. Artistic Pursuits Book 1 has 24 Units/Lessons. I also have Discovering Great Artists (really like it) and that has quite a bit of projects in it. If you alternate between them, you will have enough to cover the year. Another thing you could do is copywork...Harmony Art Mom, Barb introduced me to this. Whatever picture you are studying for the week (if you do picture study), have your kids "copy" it. They don't even have to do the whole thing. Create a "window" out of a piece of paper, lay it on top of the painting/picture, and have them sketch what they see in the "window". Just a thought...:001_smile:

Hi, I wanted to chime in about Artisitic Pursuits. I have used it w/ young children and I have an art background (art college fine art major). AP gives children both art history while teaching the elements of art and composition, using a variety of media. It is very parent friendly, and you do not need to have any art training yourself to use it. I plan on using it again.

I'm not familiar with Artistic Pursuits, but I've used Atelier both this year and last. I've been very happy with it. Last year, I did a mini-coop, so that each of my kids had a friend over while we did it. It is so easy to implement. We watch the dvd and then get to work. The materials are very basic and easy to have on hand but the projects turn out very nicely. Atelier is expensive, but it has a very good resale value. After I finished the level we did last year, I sold it. So, I really only wound up spending $75 for both of my kids (and 2 of their friends) to have art lessons twice a month for the entire year.

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

We got Artistic Pursuits to use this year with our boys ages 6, 5, and 4. It was a total flop this year, but I think it has potential down the road. It doesn't explain how to do techniques, or give specific starting points. Rather it's observe a picture, notice things about it, and then make up something of your own in a similar style. That is waaaaaay too big a jump. My kiddos don't even know how to handle a paint brush...

We're currently experimenting with Atelier now, and it is just perfect for our kiddos. Very specific & clear. Concrete examples (this is how you dip your brush in the paint), time to practice the techniques, then a guided assignment with plenty of room for individual creativity & variation. I think that after a bit of time in Atelier my son will have some basic skills under his belt, and we can go back to Artistic Pursuits or alternate between the two.

Both great programs, but AP isn't going to work with our gang until they have some very basic art skills to work with.

We have also used both programs. When my 3 dc were younger, we did Atelier all together and it was terrific. They were always pleased with their projects.

As they got older, my older ones really needed more differentiated instruction, and AP has fit the bill nicely. I now have 3 dc in 3 different levels of AP (primary, upper elem, jr hi), and it has been a great success. My youngest one enjoys that the primary AP is more open ended because he really likes to compose his own ideas. He did, however, come to the program with a couple of years of art under his belt from Atelier (which he did at ages 5-6).

Louise