Menu

You know, this is the only website that I ever have trouble on!

Prairie~Phlox

I had been getting quite a few "server busy" lately and so wondering if they are having trouble with the volume of people. This is the only website that I ever visit that has this issue. I visit a coupon message board that has a lot more people than here, and never have issues. I'm trying not to complain too much, I appreciate all that they do, but obviously something needs to be done.

Yeah, they could close down the board.:confused: The coupon board is supported by advertising - this board has none. If it did, then the cost of more bandwidth would be covered by the increase in revenue. That isn't the case here, so I can't see how we can demand that "something be done."

I imagine cleaning up the boards - removing old posts and such would help.

It isn't server capacity that causes the "server busy" message, but rather bandwidth, which (I think) happens when lots of people are using the board. There was a problem with bandwidth in the past (4-5 years ago?) and we were asked to open new posts in a different way so as to conserve bandwidth. I don't know if that would work here or not.

Guest aquiverfull

Occasionally I will get the "server is too busy" error. I tend to notice it in the afternoons so I think it's probably the amount of people using the boards at those times. It doesn't bother me. I usually just keep trying or leave and come back at a later time. I appreciate this board very much. I love that I can come on here and know that there are others who have btdt. They offer wisdom and support and it's free for me. So I don't feel like we should demand anything either. I'm really thankful that this board exists and that SWB and others have worked hard to make this available to us.

Yeah, they could close down the board.:confused: The coupon board is supported by advertising - this board has none. If it did, then the cost of more bandwidth would be covered by the increase in revenue. That isn't the case here, so I can't see how we can demand that "something be done."

I agree.

I will say that there are boards that have fundraisers-for example, one board has a service where you pay a small fee and you can change someone's "rank" to something funny (not rude or mean). Other boards only allow links to home-based businesses if you pay a small fee. If paying for a larger server is an issue, maybe something could be done?

Just thinking out loud, I know it would be a lot of work...

I hear they even have an online store now. :tongue_smilie:

We could all buy our favorite Peace Hill Press item, either for ourselves or a friend or our library. I've been thinking of getting WTM and maybe the SOTW audio for our base library.

LOL! I just downloaded a bunch of audio lectures last week. Sadly (or not), I own most of the other things, including coffee mugs and bags. You're right that I could buy them for others though.