Menu

What's your favorite language arts games for K-3?

TXMary2

I printed a bunch of games from www.kellyskindergarten.com under Games To Make. She has UNO, Snap, Old Maid, Go Fish, Board Games - all with sight words, CVC words, etc. She has a lot of popular characters and seasonal themes. I recently printed Cliffords Bones which is a word matching game and Nick (Dora, Scooby Doo, Spongebog and Spiderman) UNO cards. Her games are in Word so its real easy to change the words to whatever you are working on. I changed our UNO game to be the short A words and sight words we are currently working on. As we progress, I'll print out more for the new words we do.

Other than that, we do a lot of custom bingo, dominos, lotto and memory games.

We LOVE Elizabeth's phonics game (here). I printed the beginnings & endings on different colored cardstock, and clipped the ones we haven't gotten to yet on the corresponding pages of Phonics Pathways. It's always a huge deal when dd gets to add a new sound into her game. :D

My favorite resource for phonics games, manipulatives and worksheets is free and available from the Florida Center for Reading Research. Be warned that these files are huge and will take a while to download. There are activities for grades K-3. Some can be done independently; others will require a partner. As an example, this week, ds and I will play a board game where we advance our marker based on the number of syllables a word contains. This doesn't even begin to demonstrate the variety here. Everything is pretty much print-and-go.

Another resource that I really like is Words Their Way, although I hesitate to recommend it because it's not very parent-friendly. It's intended for classroom teachers, but it emphasizes individualizing instruction, so in that respect, it adapts to a homeschool setting quite beautifully, imo. Phonics is taught systematically, but the student is asked to sort preselected words or sounds or pictures first. This word sort is intended to reveal a phonics or spelling pattern (sometimes a vocabulary pattern) that can then be discussed and analyzed to greater depth. It's a really interesting way to work with phonics concepts at a deeper level. Students are then asked to write the words, do word hunts, play games, etc. The blackline masters are available on CD, so that's handy. I really love this approach, and I find that it is quite adaptable too, so I use it alongside Phonics Pathways with my 5yo. He's going to be finishing up PP soon, so I'll use WTW along with AAS as we go through that program.

Peggy Kaye's books are all very good.

Pairs in Pears, Bananagrams and Apple Letters are all good preparation for Scrabble.

Mad-Libs is just classic. I *heart* Mad-Libs.