Menu

PreK outside of the home?

This year was my first homeschooling both my older boys, ages 11 and 7. My youngest turned 4 right before Christmas. My boys all have had developmental delays and some issues - oldest has Aspergers/ADD, middle has ADHD, had a hearing and speech delay and struggled with Asthma, youngest has a speech delay and was delayed in potty training but is mostly there now.

Next fall my youngest would qualify for "free" voluntary pre-kindergarten at the center of my choice. There is a church preschool near my house that has openings. I just am trying to decide if it would be a good decision to put him in it or not.

Pros:

-a solid block of time (probably 2 hours after you subtract drop off and pick up) 5 mornings a week to do lessons with my older boys

-he may really enjoy the "socialization", we don't currently have alot of other kids we see regularly

-they may be able to help with his language issues better than I can? (we currently are receiving no assistance or services)

Cons:

-Having to drive him back and forth

-Being at the mercy of their schedule

-Missing out on being his pre-K teacher

-He's very strong-willed and may really fight me about going

In addition to my older son's health and learning issues I've finally been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. This diagnosis is good because now I have been given some medication which is starting to help. Due to fatigue and pain the last year has been a struggle which meant we did school, housework and shopping and that was all other than occasional trips to the park and weekly library trips. I really desire to give my sons the best education and life experience I can. Opinions on the non-homeschool pre-K?

(xpost from Curriculum board)

Your plate is full ! :grouphug:

Our youngest attended a church-run preschool program for two years. At the time, one of our sons was struggling very hard with his personal conditions. (Our family has multiple cases of ADHD, major depression, anxieties, Asperger's, NVLD, and LDs.) Sending dd to preschool turned out to be a joy and blessing for her, as well as for the rest of us. She was happy as a clam, and being there laid the foundation, I firmly believe, for her present outgoing, social nature. (She turned 11 last week.) She has been homeschooled from K onward.

Hope you start to feel healthier and stronger very soon !

We had similar needs at the time. We chose the local one closest, but cost more money. We skipped the free one because I felt my little one would be involved with the rowdy ones. We opted for low teacher to student ratio. It was an excellent experience for us.

The uninterrupted time was a blessing for us.

We had similar needs at the time. We chose the local one closest, but cost more money. We skipped the free one because I felt my little one would be involved with the rowdy ones. We opted for low teacher to student ratio. It was an excellent experience for us.

The uninterrupted time was a blessing for us.

I'm a bit shocked but I'm having a hard time finding a preschool that doesn't do the VPK (voluntary pre-k). It seems that all of the christian preschools jumped on board the free wagon. I would so much prefer to go just two or three mornings a week, I don't think it's an option. :confused:

My son went 3 days. That was nice because we could do our fun outside things with him. I hope you find a nice place. I was comforted that the one I chose had such a nice feel to it. It was an easy choice. I had checked out so many and I was a preschool teacher, so I was a wee bit critical.

The five day thing is a lot. But I do know between so many state holidays and teachers in service, you may not be going out each day.

It still can be a blessing.

Some questions to consider:

If you put him in the preschool...

• Will he feel left out of what you're doing at home?
  • Will he bring the "school culture" back into your home? Will this be acceptable to you?
  • Will he feel rejected or "sent away" by you? Will he feel like he's "in the way of doing school" or as if he's a problem to solve?
  • Will he miss being home with Mom and big brothers? Will he miss the physical connection (hugs, snuggles, wrestling with brothers)? Will he miss the emotional and spiritual connection ("I love you," prayer time, family worship)?
  • Will he be "odd man out" with his big brothers, in that they are together (with you), but he is not? Will this shift in your routine change his relationships with his brothers?
  • Will going-coming, going-coming every day take up more time than it's worth? Will you be too tired some mornings to get him there on time?
  • Will you feel too tied down to the school's schedule/demands, and not be able to take a down day when you don't feel well?

If you don't put him in the preschool...

• Will he miss out on something that he really needs?
  • Will you be able to find other resources for his language development?
  • Will he be a happy, healthy, learning little boy at home?
  • Will your schedule be what you and your boys need it to be?
  • Will you get to enjoy him being 4/5?

Obviously, I'm biased towards keeping him home! ;) I realize my list of questions is skewed in that direction. IMO, you'd be better off keeping him home, for two main reasons: (1) He's so young, he might not understand why he is being sent away each day; and (2) Going-coming-going-coming might interrupt your day more than you think it will, unless you have someone else to help you with getting him there and back. With your fibro, it can be hard to be on someone else's schedule some days, KWIM?

I thought about doing this with my three-year old twins. In the end, I decided that I'd spend 15 minutes dropping them off, 15 minutes coming home, then a few hours later, 15 minutes going back to get them, and 15 minutes coming home! :auto: I decided that hour EVERY DAY could be better spent, even if I only paid attention to them! ;)

Preschool is about CONVERSATION. Language development is the core of what little children need, and you can do this. Read a picture book, and talk about it. Count M & Ms, and talk about it. Have a conversation. Take a walk, collect leaves, and talk about them. Take a nap, and when you wake up, talk about your dreams. Build a fort with Legos, and talk about it. The choices are endless, but why spend that time in the car? HTH.

Edited by Sahamamama

Don't I wish...I don't really know anyone in my part of town. With all the health, LD's, etc we are pretty insular. We attend church on the other side of town. :confused:

If you speak with an administrator for your target preschool, you could ask if there is a student's mother living in your part of town who would like to carpool. There might even be a mom nearby who, for a modest fee, would be happy to take and pick up your son every day.

Just trying to brainstorm ! :)