Menu

Using the library for TOG

Quiver0f10

I am *very* curious to hear the answer to this question! I am considering TOG for next year, but we would need to use the library as much as possible. We have a large hsing population in our county, and I wonder if using the library will be difficult.

Personally, I buy all of my books because we live in a small town and our TOG co-op meets right across from the library. I'd be competing with all of my friends. :)

However, we have 2 or 3 families that don't buy many books at all. Since TOG is laid out by subject, several families in our co-op just get alternate books about the same time period/subject. The specific resources are usually not available, but it's easy to find appropriate substitutes. I had a rhetoric student in my co-op class last year that never cracked open a book. He answered all of his AQ and TQ's by searching online. He always had great insight to add to our class discussions.

I think it's harder to substitute the literature selections, but most of the Rhetoric selections can be found in the library. Most of the year 1 and 2 Dialectic and UG lit was NOT available at the library, but year 3 & 4 are easier to find. Most of the LG lit is available at our library, unless there is a Christian theme.

HTH,

Leanna

If you're going to do it, I suggest you start your year early - like now. Most people start around Aug or Sep, so all the books for the first month are checked out and have a huge wait list. If you start several months before or after that, you have a better shot. That said, I buy the multi-week books. Just makes it easier.

I purchase the lit selections that I want and the multi-unit and multi-year books, mostly at used book sales and other homeschoolers. If I don't find used, I purchase it new.

I make sure I have a spine text from the alt list so when I don't have a book I use that. I have used, SOTW for younger children, BJU World History and Streams of Civ for the older (I have used year 1 and 3 only).

This year will be a bit different as we are now in walking distance to the library and I can now order from books all over the state from my computer. We have also tightened our budget so I will purchase fewer new books this year.

Yes, I would rather purchase than use the library and we have a pretty good library in our home. I will find out just how good when I start looking at the R level books for next year LOL! We only have 5 dc, but I would rather pull a book off my own shelf than order it from the library since we will use the books over and over again.

This will be my first year teaching all levels.

Wow, looking at the ages of your dc - TOG is going to be WONDERFUL for you! My answer would have been different if you had several at the grammar stage, as nearly any library book is sufficient to substitute on the topic for them.

However at the higher learning levels, YOU, as the teacher, will experience the most benefit if you stick with TOG's book list. The children won't learn less if you choose to substitute off list; but you will invest more time in creating new resources for literature analysis, accountability and thinking questions and discussion.

If you start in Y2 many of the main history spines are available as free e-books through the Baldwin Project. I can't speak to Y3 or Y4 resources.

best of luck,

Kymberly

P.S. TOG materials have very high resale value. Much of what I see on the secondary market is being recouped at 70%. So even if you buy the books, while you have a large cash investment up front, your true cost is fairly low.

Edited by bookfiend
Post Script

I used the library for half the books we needed this year. I do have to say we have a premier library though. I've got the property taxes to prove it! I would echo what the other ladies said. I would recommend buying everything used 5+ weeks. I'd even go so far as to say 3 weeks and here's why. By the time you get it on hold, pick it up and have a few days to a week lag time before you need it, you' only got two weeks and a few days left.

I also go through my library's website and see how many copies of a book they have. When the only have one copy, I plan to find it elsewhere. I'd love to have all the books on my bookshelf but we just can't swing that financially so the library has been a very workable option for me.

Well, if I had the money...Yeah! I'd buy every book! But since I live in a different reality, I use the library. Here's what I do.

2 weeks prior, I order library books. Many times I must use the InterLibrary Loan system. I admit I am Very Spoiled as my library system in corporates our entire county as one system and we can interlibrary loan for free.

We check out a book for 28 days, with the option of 2 renewals. There have definitely been times where I use my card, followed by a dc's card in order to keep a spine long enough. If someone else has requested a book, then I am unable to check it out, so I rush over to Amazon and order it.

It takes me about 15 minutes to order. I sit at my computer, open my folder to the book list pages and start searching for the three levels we are currently using (4 next year, God help me!). If I can't find a book, I will go to Worldcat.org as I have to have all the information to request it via inter-library loan.

I do buy books that I have particularly enjoyed or see that I need for multiple units. I am alloted about $30 a month for books, so I choose very carefully.

I also share books with trusted friends. I have sold several locals on TOG, so since we're in different years, we share whatever we can.

It hasn't been hard for me at all, but I defer to a generous local library system. I'm very fortunate. There is also a home schooling mom who works at one of the libraries in the county. She educated classically, and I find most of what I need is always at her library. God bless Mrs. Joanne!

I usually buy all my books, but now with two levels next year, I'm re-considering...I will buy all the literature books because they have the worksheets. They also go out of print at times, so it's just easier to have on hand for future kids. yes- they do give you a replacement book and worksheet on the site, but I prefer to keep it as simple as possible.

I also go through the inter-library loan and see how many libraries have the book. For example, if 10 libraries have a particular book, there's a good chance I can get it. If only 2 libraries have it, it's a book I might consider buying. I will also buy books that are needed for more than two weeks.

Beth

We do library, and we substitute where we can't find what TOG recommends. So far, I have bought the Bible Atlas, and the Atlas of World History, since these are excellent reference materials I would like to have regardless of TOG. Everything else has been library, suitable substitute, or not at all. I keep reminding myself that my dc would never have studied ANY OF THIS and NEVER THIS IN-DEPTH if they were in PS. So TOG is really an embarrassment of riches when it comes to material covered.