Menu

Argh! My silicone baking mat makes food taste like garlic!

I recently used my silicone baking mat for a large pan of focaccia laden with garlic oil. Mmmmmmm. HOWEVER, I baked chocolate chip cookies today. I tasted one and it tastes like GARLIC. Yurgh.

I washed it after using it. Any ideas how to get the garlic aroma out?? Would you soak it in a baking soda solution or could it ruin it?

(It's not a Silpat with metal in it...it's a King Arthur Flour silicone mat)

Thanks!

Maybe you need dedicated sweet and savory mats?

Garlic cookies? I won't laugh at you but I might laugh with you... are you laughing? It is a little funny.

It is funny! (Except I'm making them as a part of a meal for a brand new mommy and family...and I'm SO tight for time!)

I think you are right about sweet and savory mats...

Did you wash the mat in the dishwasher?

I was thinking I should have said that I don't use the dry cycle on my dishwasher.......it might make a difference.

I didn't, because of the heat issue...in order to get our dishes somewhat clean, I HAVE to use the super heating feature, and even though the mat is good to 500 degrees, I wasn't sure how it would fare in WET heat.

I did soak it in lemon juice and water, and then in baking soda and water, and about 75% of the "aroma" is gone. I do think, though, that I'm going to have to have both a savory and sweet mats.