Menu

Book/Website Suggestions for Corn-fused Parents?

Does anyone have any good book or website suggestions for parents of a gifted kid? I've browsed around a little, but nothing seems to be describing my kid. :glare:

I doubt there are any "homeschooling gifted kid" resources either... :glare: I'm looking for practical advice on things like "why the heck is she playing the same song over and over on the piano for 45 minutes" and "why the heck is she lying on the floor and copying pages from the encyclopedia onto computer paper"... :confused:

I'm sorry, but I'm really in uncharted territory with this kid. Any recommendations are appreciated.

I didn't start realizing how "normal" things were for gifted kids until I looked at http://www.sengifted.org/articles_index.shtml and http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/browse_by_topic_articles.aspx. My view of normal is very, very skewed. Before I did my homework, things like that drove me up the wall. Now they don't bother me at all. In fact, I've even been able to look in the mirror and understand why my parents thought I was crazy. LOL! I agree, though... Hoagies is good. Overwhelming, but good.

:iagree:Hoagie's is great!

I happened upon a book a few years ago that was EXTREMELY helpful ...Gifted Children at Home: A Practical Guide for Homeschooling Families by J. Baker, K. Julicher, and M. Hogan

I also had a very skewed perspective on what was "normal" :tongue_smilie:. It helped to have the resources listed above.

I'm looking for practical advice on things like "why the heck is she playing the same song over and over on the piano for 45 minutes" and "why the heck is she lying on the floor and copying pages from the encyclopedia onto computer paper".

Sounds like our version of normal! My kids are always racing to the computer in the mornings to research the passion of the moment and write "books" about their findings. And that obsessiveness at the piano isn't a bad quality, however tedious it might be to listen to. It`s also very normal.

Also Creative Homeschooling by Lisa Rivero is a good book about home schooling gifted kids. I wish it had more "how to" specifics but it was worth buying.

:iagree: I got it from the library. It is a very good overview. It is not exclusively about homeschooling, as it discusses other options that parents have beyond only homeschooling. I see that as a plus, because homeschooling does not always meet the needs of every child/family.

I happened upon a book a few years ago that was EXTREMELY helpful ...Gifted Children at Home: A Practical Guide for Homeschooling Families by J. Baker, K. Julicher, and M. Hogan

Does this book have more "how to" specifics than the Lisa Rivero book?