Menu

Saxon or Teaching Textbook

Hello,

I am in need of help with regards to these two programs.

Situation: My almost 12yr. old ds is currently using Math Mammoth. He likes this program but after much prayer and research I have come to the conclusion that Josh, does not do well with "out of the box' thinking. He has a hard time processing the information that way. He is currently working his way through 4A. Our plan;) was for him to finish 4B in the summer, start 5A/B and finish 6A/B sometime at the beginning of his 8th grade year. We are playing 'catch-up' because he just struggles in most academic areas.

I think he would do better with drill & repetition, the 'weaknesses' of Saxon and Teaching Textbooks.

Question: Can someone compare the two for me? Do both of them have lots of drill and repetition?

He needs no fluff, no outside the box thinking. Just give it to him straight. No illustrations or manipulatives. He needs drilling and does best with day-in and day-out type of stuff. Needs it explained more than once sometimes.

I was thinking of starting him with either Saxon 6/5 or Teaching Textbooks 6. He'll work through the summers to get caught up.

Any information regarding these two program will be most helpful. I would like to order and have him start next month if possible.

Hello,

I am in need of help with regards to these two programs.

Situation: My almost 12yr. old ds is currently using Math Mammoth. He likes this program but after much prayer and research I have come to the conclusion that Josh, does not do well with "out of the box' thinking. He has a hard time processing the information that way. He is currently working his way through 4A. Our plan;) was for him to finish 4B in the summer, start 5A/B and finish 6A/B sometime at the beginning of his 8th grade year. We are playing 'catch-up' because he just struggles in most academic areas.

I think he would do better with drill & repetition, the 'weaknesses' of Saxon and Teaching Textbooks.

Question: Can someone compare the two for me? Do both of them have lots of drill and repetition?

He needs no fluff, no outside the box thinking. Just give it to him straight. No illustrations or manipulatives. He needs drilling and does best with day-in and day-out type of stuff. Needs it explained more than once sometimes.

I was thinking of starting him with either Saxon 6/5 or Teaching Textbooks 6. He'll work through the summers to get caught up.

Any information regarding these two program will be most helpful. I would like to order and have him start next month if possible.

I don't know a thing about TT.

But we like Saxon here. It is no fluff, but it gets the job done. Because it's an incremental approach, things are consistently reviewed. There are fact sheets daily, a small section of mental math, lesson practice (this focuses on problems related to the day's lesson), and then mixed practice (review from previous lessons, complete with lesson numbers next to the problem so if you need to go back and reread the lesson you know where to go). It's the only math program we've ever done, and all of my boys are doing well with it.

I would suggest you give your son the placement test, though, to make sure he gets placed in the correct book.

This stands out to me as something that is a Teaching Textbook strength. Your son can listen to the lecture as many times as he needs until he understands it. He can also choose to watch any problem he missed being worked out the proper way, with detailed explanations. As for Saxon, I can’t answer for that level, and it’s been awhile since we used it. But I am thinking of using it again in the future for Algebra 2 and Calculus. Saxon definitely has plenty of repetition, no worries there. TT does not have as much repetition as Saxon. And yes, I think both math programs are pretty traditional and straightforward.

I can say though, that I feel that TT is at least a grade level behind Saxon, so take that into consideration when ordering. The placement test for TT is very accurate, while the Saxon tests can sometimes be misleading. Just use your best judgment after taking the placement test for Saxon and examining the Scope and Sequence or Table of Contents.

Oh, also, TT would be ideal for the summer. It is not as long and drawn out as Saxon.

Hello,

He needs drilling and does best with day-in and day-out type of stuff. Needs it explained more than once sometimes.

We have used TT and Saxon. I think that Saxon has more review and drill. If you are wanting more explanation, you could use the Saxon teacher cd's. If your son comes across a problem that he is just not getting, he can pop in the cd and watch the problem solved step by step. Dd is doing much better with the incremental approach of Saxon.

We have used TT and Saxon. I think that Saxon has more review and drill. If you are wanting more explanation, you could use the Saxon teacher cd's. If your son comes across a problem that he is just not getting, he can pop in the cd and watch the problem solved step by step. Dd is doing much better with the incremental approach of Saxon.

Those new teacher DVDs sound nice. :)

The teacher cd's, is that the Dive cd's. Can they be watched from a dvd player or only the computer. Thanks!

I can say though, that I feel that TT is at least a grade level behind Saxon, so take that into consideration when ordering. The placement test for TT is very accurate, while the Saxon tests can sometimes be misleading. Just use your best judgment after taking the placement test for Saxon and examining the Scope and Sequence or Table of Contents.

Oh, also, TT would be ideal for the summer. It is not as long and drawn out as Saxon.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when he takes the placement test. Since TT might be a grade level behind Saxon that makes it tempting.

I also like how Saxon seems to have more repetition though.:tongue_smilie:

With regards to Saxon 6/5 and TT 6 do you think those are about the same with grade level?

Edited by Homeschooling6

The teacher cd's, is that the Dive cd's. Can they be watched from a dvd player or only the computer. Thanks!

The Saxon Teacher CD's are similar but not the same as the Dive CDs. I've never used them but have done lots of research on them. The Dive CDs discuss the lesson but use problems similar is to what's in them is what I've heard. Where as Saxon Teacher actually uses the specific examples used in the textbook.

I'm currently using TT and although I don't really think it's a year behind, just a different scope and sequence I've decided to go back to Saxon because my son needs more repetition that what TT is giving him. I think if you went with TT all the way through you'd cover all that needs to be, but the Saxon way of doing things just makes more sense to me. Usually when my son doesn't quite get the way TT is explaining something I'll use the Saxon way of explaining it (that's what I used in public school) and then he gets it.

At this point I'm not sure if I'll use the Saxon teacher CDs for my son next year or not. I may just take the student text and present it to him instead of just having him read through it. He really needs to see things that way to understand it. He also has been asking for more one on one time with me because much of his work is independent, so I think that me teaching Saxon to him instead of him reading the text will cover that base for him.

The Saxon Teacher CD's are similar but not the same as the Dive CDs. I've never used them but have done lots of research on them. The Dive CDs discuss the lesson but use problems similar is to what's in them is what I've heard. Where as Saxon Teacher actually uses the specific examples used in the textbook.

Do the Saxon Teacher CD's come with the homeschool package or do I purchase them separately? My son needs tons of repetition, I'm thinking Saxon might be the way to go. I have drooled over TT though, but my gut is saying Saxon:glare:

You should probably go with your gut instead of with your salivary glands. :lol: I am considering switching for Algebra now, or before, because of cost restraints. I want to PM the pp that used TT for Algebra.

My dd went from Abeka 3 to TT 5 and then tested into TT 7, I have no actual experience with level 6. Although I hear that it is very similar to level 7. I will say that, generally, TT math is a year behind most programs. And from what I can tell, after completing TT 7 this year, my dd should only test into Saxon 8/7, not Pre- Alg. :001_smile:

Do the Saxon Teacher CD's come with the homeschool package or do I purchase them separately? My son needs tons of repetition, I'm thinking Saxon might be the way to go. I have drooled over TT though, but my gut is saying Saxon:glare:

Sorry, went to bed early for a change. :lol: You can purchase the Saxon homeschool package with the teacher cd's. Cheaper than TT too. My daughter has really preferred them over TT because the teacher talks slower. She was constantly having to start and stop the TT cd's to do the examples along with the teacher. When you go to the link at CBD, click on the spot that says visit the Saxon Math Store. They have 2 samples of the teacher Cd's, Alg 1 & 2.

DD did TT pre-alg in 7th then moved into TT Alg 1 this year. She was doing horribly. We slowed down to assess what was going on. She had not grasped the concepts learned in the pre-alg book, even though she scored fine on the tests as we moved through. We discussed it for some time and felt we needed to change. I gave her the placement level test for Saxon and she tested into 8/7. Thankfully we will be able to finish this summer and be able to move on to Alg 1. 8/7 contains pre-algebra. If your child completes 8/7 and scores well, you so not need to do Algebra 1/2, they can move straight to Alg 1.

I have been very pleased with her progress so far. I love the incremental approach to the new concepts and the constant review to the concepts already learned. I know some people do not like the drills everyday, but I think they are great. I also like the small mental math section they have the student doing before each lesson.

You should probably go with your gut instead of with your salivary glands. :lol: I am considering switching for Algebra now, or before, because of cost restraints. I want to PM the pp that used TT for Algebra.

My dd went from Abeka 3 to TT 5 and then tested into TT 7, I have no actual experience with level 6. Although I hear that it is very similar to level 7. I will say that, generally, TT math is a year behind most programs. And from what I can tell, after completing TT 7 this year, my dd should only test into Saxon 8/7, not Pre- Alg. :001_smile:

Just wanted to let you know that if your dd does well with Saxon 8/7 there is no need to do Saxon Alg 1/2, she can move right into Alg 1. Here is a recent thread that discusses it more.

HTH :001_smile:

Sorry, went to bed early for a change. :lol: You can purchase the Saxon homeschool package with the teacher cd's. Cheaper than TT too. My daughter has really preferred them over TT because the teacher talks slower. She was constantly having to start and stop the TT cd's to do the examples along with the teacher. When you go to the link at CBD, click on the spot that says visit the Saxon Math Store. They have 2 samples of the teacher Cd's, Alg 1 & 2.

DD did TT pre-alg in 7th then moved into TT Alg 1 this year. She was doing horribly. We slowed down to assess what was going on. She had not grasped the concepts learned in the pre-alg book, even though she scored fine on the tests as we moved through. We discussed it for some time and felt we needed to change. I gave her the placement level test for Saxon and she tested into 8/7. Thankfully we will be able to finish this summer and be able to move on to Alg 1. 8/7 contains pre-algebra. If your child completes 8/7 and scores well, you so not need to do Algebra 1/2, they can move straight to Alg 1.

I have been very pleased with her progress so far. I love the incremental approach to the new concepts and the constant review to the concepts already learned. I know some people do not like the drills everyday, but I think they are great. I also like the small mental math section they have the student doing before each lesson.

What! Went to bed early;) I need to do that for a change too!

Thank you for the info and link. Very helpful. I was looking for the cd last night but couldn't find it.

Thank you ladies. I had Josh, take the placement test and although I was hoping he would be able to start 6/5, it looks like he will begin with 5/4. I am going to purchase the Dive and Teacher cd-roms because we sure can use all the help that is provided.

My ds is going to have to work through summers to get caught up. He's a smart kid but thinks so differently. One of the problems on the placement test was a number line. The questioned asked, "To what number is the arrow pointing." He answered "down" :confused: He also needs work with decimals, percentage and such. Hopefully the Dive cd's will help in that area.

You would think we never did math but he has completed Alpha, Beta and Gamma with MUS. Beta & Gamma twice. I didn't want him to have to go another round with Gamma so I switched him to Math Mammoth and he has complete 3A & 3B. He is currently working in 4A.

I am going to order Saxon tonight, so we can start as soon as it gets here.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me out.

Edited by Homeschooling6