Menu

Tell me about Oak Meadow for High School...

I'm curious about some things there too...

Mostly the electives and technology courses look unique and interesting - how good are they if you do NOT enroll?

The civics and english also look interesting to me.

The science is using glencoe/holt/prentice hall - so I don't feel I need OM for those.

I am using OM for the first time this year.

OM US History uses Glencoe American Vision as the text. I bought the text on amazon for about $15. I got the syllabus and teacher manual from OM. I think the syllabus has value for the questions it poses and the for the projects it suggests. My dd has enjoyed doing the projects. They always have at least 3 possible projects listed each week. Some weeks have up to 10 possible projects listed. The TM gives the answers for all the questions.

OM Biology uses Holt Biology as the text. The questions in the syllabus are mostly taken from the questions at the end of each section, but there are some other questions as well. The syllabus also chooses labs that are more feasible for home-use. The teacher manual has all the answers. Again, I got the textbook on amazon (for about $10, I think), but got the syllabus and teacher manual from OM.

OM Health uses Holt Lifetime Health as the text. There is no daily work for this course, only weekly tests. The tests and answers are in the teacher manual. The syllabus schedules the text to be completed over 18 weeks. The other 18 weeks outlined in the syllabus is taught directly from the syllabus. It is mostly nutrition and exercise. My dd has thoroughly enjoyed doing this program. I expected her to just get through it because she had to, but she has really liked it. I bought this as a complete set from somebody on the OM_HS email loop.

For next year, I will definitely use OM World History for my middle dd. I am also considering OM English 10 for her. I am considering OM 6 for history and English for my youngest.

My oldest still needs to do government, but I need a program that takes me out of the picture for her. I will probably do something like Thinkwell for her. I plan to use OM for my other kids for government.

I have the OM World History syllabus. When you say that the TM has the answers...do you mean the textbook TM? I have the textbook and the textbook teacher's edition. Or is there a separate TM for the syllabus??

Thanks

Oak Meadow puts out a teacher's manual to go with each student syllabus.

I am referring to the teacher manual that Oak Meadow publishes for each syllabus. You have to call OM to tell them that you want the TM in addition to the syllabus. It isn't available for ordering directly off the website (at least, I haven't seen it there at the high school level). Ordering it over the phone is no problem at all.