Menu

Math order* Geometry, then Algebra I and II??

Is there a reason not to do Geometry, Algebra I and then Algebra II.

What are my math sequence choices after this?

Trig and then pre-Calculus?

My daughter is in sixth grade... and I'm looking ahead to 7th grade. She'll have finished Singapore 6B by next year.

If I stay with Singapore, anyone know if there's a "Geometry book" for Singapore? or is it mixed into the next sequence?

:)

I am not a math gal, but my thinking is they do Geo. second b/c it has Algebra in it. Therefore the regular seq. is Alg 1, Geo than Alg II.

Although for my second dd, we are doing Alg 1, 11 than Geo. Only cuz we couldnt get into the Geo course.:D

I'll give you a quick answer before all the real math people show up. ;)

Geometry requires a certain grasp of algebra so algebra is taught first generally. Algebra is reviewed and reinforced in Algebra 2 after Geometry to let kids dig into it more deeply after they have matured a little and to refresh their brains for those SATs and ACTs. Trig is generally rolled into Pre-Calc. Typical math sequence is Alg1, Geometry, Alg2, PreCalc then Calc1 plus something else if they have time. College entrance requirements are generally stated as x number of years of math above the Alg 1 level.

Singapore has geometry rolled into the sequence, but I don't know if they do proofs.

Singapore has geometry rolled into the sequence, but I don't know if they do proofs.
Neither NEM nor NSM cover proofs, though NAM does.

Singapore (7th grade) NEM 1 has beginning Algebra first semester then a good hunk of geometry but no proofs in the second half. NEM 2 is structured the same way.

We are doing chalkdust geometry this year and it has lots of Algebra requirements. Many people do Algebra 1 and 2 then Geometry.

Yes, you need at least Algebra 1 before doing Geometry.

Traditional sequence:

Algebra1

Geometry

Algebra 2.

pre calc (trig, as far as I know)O

Calculus

Life of Fred sequence:

Beginning Algebra

Advanced Algebra

Geometry

Trigonometry

Calculus

My younger two dc are Singapore Math students. Well, my middle one finished 6B about a year ago. We spent a year doing a Russian math from Perpendicular Press, and now she's doing Life of Fred Beginning Algebra. Life of Fred now has a pre-Algebra, but I think dd benefitted a great deal from doing the Russian math first. In fact, she even made a unsolicited comment about how she was glad she did Russian math because of what she learned, etc.

links: Russian Math (includes pre-Algebra--don't be fooled by grade 6--it definitely comes after SM6B, IMO. http://www.perpendicularpress.com/

Life of Fred http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/index2.html

We do Algebra 1 twice, so after my middle dd does Beginning and advanced Algebra with LOF, she'll do another one before LoF Geometry. She'll be too young & immature for proofs when she's done Algebra 1, anyway, but also I think it's great to do Algebra 1 if you have the time.