Menu

Any way to get price tag sticky off books?

I know, silly question! Normally I buy books new, but I got lucky at the used book store today. I'm really weird in that I don't like sticky price tags on my books. The ones from the book store (Border's and Barnes and Nobel) come off very easy. Is there any way to safely get sticky off books (without using something unsafe for kids like Goo-Gone :-)?

Thanks much!

Mendy

Sometimes you can use a hair dryer to heat the sticker before you take it off and it will come off clean. Otherwise, if it is a washable surface like some kids hardcover are, a bit of orange oil can loosen an adhesive. Peanut butter maybe worth a try too.

The 91% alcohol (Wal Mart) works well. First, I take a razor scaper like gas stations use to scrape off the Inspection Stickers, and scrape off as much as I can. Then, I dump some of the alcohol on a rough kitchen rag and rub the glue off. I also use it to clean the entire outside of the book.

It's a little hard on the hands, so I sometimes wear rubber gloves if I'm doing a lot of books.

Ordinary vegetable oil usually works, but it depends on the surface. A leather cover would be fine with some oil, but oil will stain paper.

Put it on and let it soak for a few minutes, then rub. A washcloth is a little more abrasive than your fingers, and shouldn't hurt the surface, if it's something that can handle oil in the first place.

Thanks so much!!!!! I tried 70% rubbing alcohol (what I had on hand) and cooking oil. The cooking oil took it right off without a lot of work and no damage to the cover of the book (glossy type covers on some I Can Read books). Just have to be careful not to get it on the pages.

I thought you guys would think I was weird :-), but I loved all the responses. Thanks again!

Mendy