Menu

TOG placement help

Quiver0f10

I am trying to figure out what level to place my 7 year old and 11 year old children. Right now I have both in LG. The 11 yo is dyslexic as well as has some memory issues, so I was fine with him being in LG. However I think he could handle the UG materials at this point.

I will be teaching 7 children this year so it would be much easier and less expensive for me to keep them together. Do I put them both in UG and hope the 2nd grader gets it or keep them in LG? Or separate them?

Due to his dyslexia I have to read everything to him and I read everything to my second grader as well.

Thanks!

it seems like separating them would be hard on you. I'm not sure how you would manage to read both LG and UG aloud. What about keeping both in LG, but adding just a few of the UG history readings? I didn't see which year you are doing, but for my LG DD I sometimes add in one of the Usborne books, or Kingfisher pages to go with the week's readings. Then you could also choose some of the combined read alouds for lit if you are using the literature.

You could start out doing a mixture and slowly work up to UG. Maybe???

Shannon

I am trying to figure out what level to place my 7 year old and 11 year old children. Right now I have both in LG. The 11 yo is dyslexic as well as has some memory issues, so I was fine with him being in LG. However I think he could handle the UG materials at this point.

I will be teaching 7 children this year so it would be much easier and less expensive for me to keep them together. Do I put them both in UG and hope the 2nd grader gets it or keep them in LG? Or separate them?

Due to his dyslexia I have to read everything to him and I read everything to my second grader as well.

Thanks!

First, hugs to you from me. I'll be in the same boat next year -- teaching 7 that is. Each time I think about I become a little cross-eyed! :) Since you're already reading aloud, I'd say the UG would be fine for a 7yo. There have been many times we have shared materials one way or the other this year. SOTW is a supplemental spine, so that should give you an idea of where the UG is going. Do you have a decent library? I have saved so much over time using my trusted library. I'm very fortunate. I can't honestly think of any reason why you couldn't use UG. Just have the 7yo narrate, etc. I did find buying the SOTW Activity Guide Student Pages was nice. It gave me some nice coloring pages to go along with our narrations and really just made notebooking for history pretty effortless. I find the lapbooks have been more successful with UG than LG, but haven't Loved them b/c I feel like it cramps our style from week to week; that's why they've become more like a unit review for us. The added bonus of giving the littles something to produce at our Unit Celebration. Some of the resources may also provide additional reading practice for your UG dc. Some of the spines are pretty easy reading and only a few pages a week. The lit. in UG is great! We've enjoyed it very much. HTH :) Glad to know I'm not the only one is the Sea of Seven!

Thanks!

History is not the place where you want to be fighting battles, go with the easy plan.

Heather

I mostly read aloud to my ds. He is doing UG work. We are doing Yr 1, and I feel most if not all of the books would be fine for a 7 yr old to listen in on. I find that ds can handle higher level books as read alouds than if he were reading it himself. I would probably stick to oral comprehension questions, coloring pages, etc for the younger. I often have ds draw a picture about what we read, and maybe have some copywork on that page. I don't know how much reading you were doing in LG, but my voice is often quite hoarse and scratchy with the amount of reading for UG. I was going nuts with all the Egyptian names in the Usborne IL Ancient World! :tongue_smilie:Thankfully ds is starting to do some of the reading on his own.

I have not done this yet but am considering it for next year. I do not have seven children so I can't even imagine what that would be like. However, next year I will have an 8yo and 10yo. The 10 yo is not a strong reader at this point. I am thinking it might work to read UG aloud and give him some of the LG to read himself. Or I will pick read alouds from both UG and LG and give him one meatier read to himself book to work through at his own pace. Having just written that, I'm thinking I like the second option better.:)

Woolybear