Menu

May I please make a suggestion about rep points?

It seems that the system keeps up with how many rep points I've given others, and it won't let me give rep to someone again until after I've "spread it around to others" first.

Okay, I understand the reason for this. And I'm glad for the safeguard.

I don't get involved in the random rep spreading parties that are popularity based, and I only give rep when I read something particularly helpful, wise, useful or encouraging. In other words, I'm really trying to follow the rules and do this thing the right way.

Now, for my suggestion... instead of requiring that I give rep to a certain number of other people before I can give it twice to the same person, how about allowing me to give it twice to the same person after a certain amount of time has passed? I am trying to give Jean in Wisc a rep point for her post about teaching writing, but it won't let me because I haven't spread enough rep around since I last gave her a point (which I think was back in January!). I do not know what the magic number of rep points I have to spread around before I can rep Jean again. I guess I could go around and find some people to rep just so that I can get back to Jean again soon, but those are rep points I wouldn't have otherwise awarded, so wouldn't that be defeating the purpose?

Anyhow, if you could somehow make the safeguard requirements allow for "elapsed time between rep points" instead of only "amount of rep given since" that would be great!

Thanks for your consideration!

Robin

I have run into this problem myself. A few times I've tried to "rep" people and it wouldn't let me, and it has been so long that I didn't remember "repping" them the first time! I haven't had time to get involved in the "rep parties" either.

So, let me see if the system will let me "rep" Robin for this excellent suggestion . . .

:iagree:

I have two people that deserve another rep because of their very thoughtful responses to my posts, but I can't give it to them! I go back and try again every once in a while, but my memory doesn't last too long anymore and I'm sure that I will forget.

I wish I knew that, too.

I'm not stingy about my repping, I just don't read every post out there... I'm sure there are many other helplful posts, but the only ones I read are the ones that are directly related to what I'm interested in. I just assume that's what everyone is doing... reading the posts that are most relevant to them, and giving points to the ones that are the most helpful or encouraging. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work? I don't want to water things down just so I can rep someone more often... that would make it less meaningful to me.

Robin

I didn't mean to infer that you should read threads just to search for something rep-worthy. I muddled my last post. I'm sorry.

I read very little, honestly, because the boards move so quickly and I just don't have the time to keep up. I wouldn't participate in rep-parties, either, because that isn't the intention of the rep system.

I don't think there will be a perfect solution for this because any format can be abused to some measure.

Yeah, it's been harder for me to keep up with, too. I think that's why I'm not finding as many "gems" out there that I used to find on the boards... I agree that it will be abused somehow by someone. I just want to give JEan a rep so badly and I wish there were a way to do so!

Robin

I sort of wish there were two rep buttons-one to give someone a "little rep" and one to give someone "extra big rep" or something. Because I do like to give rep to people who are funny, kind, wise, helpful, etc and not just people who make "the best post ever." I think giving rep for those really wise, insightful posts is important. But I also agree with giving rep for those little things that make these boards feel like a community on an every day basis.

I agree with this, too... I wish there was serious rep and every day rep.

I've just decided to treat the rep like serious rep, and the every day rep situations I either post directly or send a pm. That's the only way I've been able to keep it sorted out in my mind.

Robin

I agree with you, Eliana. I hope I didn't sound like I thought only incredible posts about academics deserved rep... I give rep when I am encouraged and even did so once when I was completely humbled by someone's graciousness - she put me right where I belonged, even though that wasn't her intent :).

Gosh, I sure hope I don't sound like a scrooge about the rep thing - like I don't think people should give it out more often than me or something. I don't do it that much mainly because I don't think of it!! My first reaction is to simply respond to the post, and when I do that, I usually forget about the reputation thing. I don't really keep up with who has how much reputation... I usually do it just to tell that person privately that they made a difference in my day that day (somehow or another).

When I think about how many posts are out there that I probably would give reputation on, posts that I am unaware of because I haven't read them, I get stresssed out! I have to accept that there is simply not enough time in the day... so I read what I can and try not to fret about what I'm missing out on :). And if I stumble on something that really speaks to me that day, for whatever reason, I do the rep thing just to let them know their words were appreciated.

So, in that sense, yes... I agree with you completely.

Robin

Robin