Menu

Desperate for math help. Again.

My Dd is in 9th and working through Saxon Alg 1/2. She did CD pre-alg last year and we tried CD Alg 1 this fall, which was a bomb, so we started Saxon Alg 1/2. She is on lesson 67 and math has been taking her longer and longer do complete each day. Today she has been working for over two hours and is still not finished. She is getting a large % wrong each day, which we do correct. I have the Art Reed DVD's plus my 17 yo helping her. She just isn't getting it.

I have no clue what to do at this point. We have 12 weeks of school left so I don't really want to start a new program right now, but I can't see continuing at this pace either. I purchased Saxon Alg 1 for fall but I don't see her being able to move up to that.

I am open to any suggestions.

Can you identify exactly what concepts she does not understand?

Dd is doing NEM1, flew through the prealgebra chapters, but came to a screeching halt at the algebra concepts. I had her do the first 3 Key to Algebra books, which gave her the step by step practice and repetitions she needed, and we're just now ready to start back with NEM. So I guess what I'm suggesting is the Key to Algrebra books.

Can you figure out where in the book she started to get a lot wrong and was lost? If you know where, then go back to that point, and work through each lesson. You can even have her do the practice problems only (not the 30) from each lesson, and if she get anything wrong, other than simple arithmetic, then re-do that lesson. Make sure she thoroughly understands everything before you move on to the next lesson. It may take some time, but it beats plowing ahead with her spending so much time and being so lost.

You can also check out what areas she's having problems with by listing the lesson numbers of all the 30 problem things she's been getting wrong each day. Maybe make up a tally with numbers 1 through 67 listed and then give a mark for each lesson for the problems she's gotten wrong. Concentrate on those lessons. Just a thought.

But I agree with giving Saxon a call and see what they suggest.

Do you think just taking a break from math until the end of the school year would help? A lot of people seem to enjoy Teaching Textbooks -- is that a possibility for next year? And Jann from Texas said not every child goes at the same rate in their acquisition of math understanding -- maybe your daughter has hit a temporary plateau?

I'm sorry I'm not more help. I'm sure something will work out, though!:)

Jean,

Taking a few hours for math has been a sign of not the right program and/or level for both of my kids. We have done Chalkdust Prealgebra and Saxon up to 76 here. The CD Prealgebra took my ds and I three or more hours each day..... so with my next one, dd, I did BJU Prealgebra. No dvds, just the book, and you can get it pretty cheap used. It went great. The problems are easier in BJU (CD is a college text). Saxon was a bomb here because it hops around concepts and doesn't stay on one concept long enough to learn it.

In summary, first child, math experiment, used several programs, but BJU ended up being the best. Next child, was all BJU from 3rd grade through Algebra 1, I tried CD Geometry for a few months, and ended up back with BJU. (I use the DVDS from Algebra 1 on).

HTH and good luck, math has caused the most headaches for me in homeschooling ...