Menu

X-post: Orthodontia and possible upcoming move

Hi folks,

Dh is job-hunting. At this point it seems somewhat likely that we may have to move for his job.

Dd is 13yo and needs braces. Her dentist felt it was best to wait until now, though the one orthodontist with whom I have consulted felt that she should have been seen at age 10. I didn't click well with that orthodontist and am planning to pursue some other opinions on how best to handle dd's orthodontic needs.

Also ds is almost 9yo and possibly needs a palate extender. We've been toying with the idea for a number of years to address both his very crowded mouth and also his chronic mouth-breathing and sinus issues. We had previously been told by our dentist to wait until certain teeth were in place--now that those teeth are in place it's time to get serious about a palate extender. We did consult with one orthodontist (mentioned above) who definitely feels that ds should have a palate extender right away.

Does it make sense to wait for dh's new job and then get an orthodontist in the area to which we are moving? Or start right away since both kids have problems that need addressing? How difficult is it to switch orthodontists midway through the process?

Thanks for any wisdom you have to offer.

I would think it would be better to wait (but I am no expert, so bear that in mind :)), because it seems like the philosophies and practices of different orthodontists vary widely and wildly from one to another! Just in our area, I see that some like palate expanders and starting early and others want to wait until 12 or 13. Maybe you'd end up with one that didn't even like using palate expanders, after your dc had already gotten one.

Brenda

My ds was almost 17 and dd was 12 when we started the process. I had gotten conflicting views and misunderstood when it needed to happen. My son had the expander, they use a different kind for the older kids, it went fine.

I have been in your situation several times with dh jobs. In fact, we were in the situation when I put the braces on..... I was tired of waiting for the perfect time. If your dh has a job right now and you are just thinking about it, I would go ahead and do it. It can take awhile to find something (especially now), and you could be finished or close by the time it materializes. If he does get a new job and you do move, you can transfer to another orthodontist, it costs a little, but it can be done. Transfer patients were coming in all of the time when I was at appointments, at all points of care. There are two military bases near us, so when military personnel get transferred, that's it, you work it out!

HTH

OK, we just did this.

If you're certain a move is imminent, I would wait. If you're not certain you'll move at all, or if you may wait a year before moving, then go ahead.

Thsi is what happened to us:

We had been seeing an ortho for about a year, and had paid cash, in full, for his 3 year treatment plan. Just over $5000.

Our move was sudden and unplanned. When I notified the office that we would be moving, they calculated what we owed them and "pro-rated" it to give us a credit back. The words in the contract were "fair compensation." The office wanted to give us only $1400 back.

Ds had been in "pre-treatment," with one tooth being "twisted" while waiting for another to fall out. He didn't even have braces ON yet! I was VERY upset.

I went in the following morning to meet with the business manager. I brought my son with me so I could show her his $3800 teeth. After discussing the situation with her and the ortho, we settled on the plan that they would put him in the braces, and call us even. :glare:

OK. So we arrive in Omaha and discover that there are only 2 orthodontists who use the style of braces my ds has. We hooked up with one of them. When I explained to the office manager HERE how we felt we were unfairly treated by the previous ortho, she showed us their policy for patients who move during treatment. They had it clear-cut, very specific, and in writing.

If you choose to do it now, I would be very clear with the office about your circumstances. Ask to have their reimbursement and transfer policy in writing. Be sure you think it is clear and fair before you sign. Be sure the type of braces you use is fairly common and your child can transfer to another Dr. easily.