Menu

Oak Meadow ????

Jan in SC

I'm interested in Oak Meadow, but I am unsure if I should order 4th or 5th grade. My ds is 9, 10 in May, and technically in the 3rd grade. I think OM looks a little easier than he is used to, so I'm debating ordering 5th grade for next year.

Any thoughts? Does it just look easier on paper, or is it okay to order the next grade?

Thanks!

Fourth grade is the last of the "elementary levels." It is very parent involved. It is outdoors focused with the student studying the local geography, building his own outdoor environment, studying the local plants and animals for science, and integrating science and art. There are drawing lessons throughout. It is a great year, but very hands-on and parent led.

Fifth grade is the first grade that separates history and science into different books/classes. It is the first year where the text is written to the student and the student is expected to read, write, study on his own at least part of the time. The writing assignments are more specifically related to the material and art has become more project based. This is the first year with a list of assignments for each lesson where the student is expected to choose which to do (within limits.) There is quite a bit of flexibility to the levels, but the assignments in OM 5 do expect a child to be able to write a paper, maybe one page in length. The written work increases a great deal at the OM 5 level. (But, if you are doing it on your own you can obviously re-work the assignments to the level of the student.)

We switched to OM 1/2 way through 4th grade year. I went with the 5th grade thinking that we could spread it out over a year and a half. I sort of wish I would have just finished out the year with the 4th grade material.

Oak Meadow really seems to build upon itself. It looks all laid back and lazy but it sort of just sneakily gets the children doing pretty rigorous work.

5th grade is written toward the child, includes a lot of writing and is good and solid. Unless your child is an independent learner you will be holding his hand just as much with grade 5 as the syllabus would have you involved in his learning in grade 4.

I add in spelling and math. I don't have the OM math for 5th and Singapore math has worked for us for years. I also add in Latin and let my dd do lapbooks that she is interested in doing.

Hope this helps.:001_smile:

Guest Cindie2dds
I'm interested in Oak Meadow, but I am unsure if I should order 4th or 5th grade. My ds is 9, 10 in May, and technically in the 3rd grade. I think OM looks a little easier than he is used to, so I'm debating ordering 5th grade for next year.

Any thoughts? Does it just look easier on paper, or is it okay to order the next grade?

Thanks!

I would give them a call. I originally was going to put my dd in OM 1 because she can read and is excellent at math. I'm glad I called them and discussed the scope and sequence for both grades as well as OM 2. It gave me a better understanding of their curricula. They are very helpful and willing to discuss it as much as you need without high pressure sales. HTH!

I would give them a call. I originally was going to put my dd in OM 1 because she can read and is excellent at math. I'm glad I called them and discussed the scope and sequence for both grades as well as OM 2. It gave me a better understanding of their curricula. They are very helpful and willing to discuss it as much as you need without high pressure sales. HTH!

I second this. They really will try to help you without pushing curriculum on you.

Were it me, I would go with grade 4. It is a very interesting and challenging year as a whole. We did supplement a bit, and had added subjects, but the OM curriculum was quite full.

It is flexible and offers various options for activities. You don't have to do them all, but ds found he was interested in doing more than one often, so we really spent a great deal of time in each lesson. It pays off quite a lot.

Grade 5 is a VERY big jump from grade 3, even for an child working ahead of his grade. OM builds up on what it asks from the child. In grade 4, they start writing more. Grade 5 increases that even more, and so on up the grade levels. Skipping a grade means you'll have to fill in the gaps in writing instruction, but even then, you'll miss out on that incremental build.