Menu

"LOST" last night! One of the best this season. Let's talk... (SPOILERS!)

Okay, how many of you were expecting that last scene? I know I wasn't. I think that Widmore somehow knew that Jacob had died, and was there to take over as the Keeper of the Island before one of the Candidates is named.

It's so interesting to me how the sideways characters are not so different from the Island reality characters - different circumstances, but similar outcomes: Ben is still conniving and deceitful, but seems to have a kind streak; Jack is more responsible sideways, but still has a broken marriage; Hurley is the only one who seems to be completely different sideways: he isn't unlucky, he is wholly lucky, but remains selfless and kind in both situations.

Also, do you think that Jack convinced Richard to give up his bitterness towards Jacob?

Do you believe Ben has truly chosen the White side?

Lastly, which Kwan is the Candidate: Sun or Jin?

Any other thoughts after last night?

What if the candidate is Sun and Jin's child? I realize that's a complete stretch, but when Jacob comes to them in their before life, it's at their wedding -- the joining of 2 people. Maybe it's either the baby or both of them are supposed to rule together?

I'm still not entirely sure that Ben has chosen the "good" side because I'm not sure what the good side is. I still think Flocke/MIB may not be evil, and that Jacob may not be good (I was also in the die-hard "Snape is NOT evil" camp when I was reading Harry Potter!). I think another plausible theory is that Jacob and Flocke/MIB are both Gods and the people are pawns in their game. It goes back to one of the very first episodes of the series where Locke was teaching Walt a strategy game with the white side and the dark side. What is evil? What is good? The show gives you a lot to ponder!

I think it was fantastic episode! I love that Ben chose to help Alexandra rather than get the power of the principal's position. I also liked seeing that he and his father have a good relationship. Interesting about the Dharma Initiative conversation, too.

We also got an answer about what the "candidates" are. It makes me wonder if Jacob knew this was going to happen. Why else would he need a replacement?

I'm pretty sure jacob touched both of them. So they both are canidates. (or the baby, though she's not on the island and still young, so seems unlikely) He also said something about their love, so I don't think they would be seperate in this.

I think Richard is back. He was feeling down, but has purpose again.

I think Ben has chosen that side. He has forgiveness now, which seemed to be something he's been seeking.

I thought the thing with Ben and Alex was "cute" but didn't make any real kind of sense. There is no real choice, first of all -- he could have advised Alex to withdraw her request for the principal's letter of recommendation as he'd been advised that Reynolds' letter would be a negative one. He could have waited until the principal wrote a letter of recommendation before going to the Board (it's not like there was any time pressure on that one!). Not to mention that allowing a student to see the letter of recommendation is not standard, at least in high school. Furthermore, why would a high school principal's letter, when he had nearly no relationship with her, be worth more to Yale than her teacher of the subject she intended to major in -- just because the principal was a Yale alum -- they're not that insular! I also thought she should forget it and apply to Harvard and then count on their financing plan to reduce/eliminate her tuition charge!

But most nonsensical was the fact that she was applying for college while taking her APs. Last time I checked, APs are in May and students have to have notified their college that they will be attending before then -- not just starting the application process.

As you can see, that story line annoyed me. But I liked the idea of them interacting in some alternate time/place.

The Alex story line annoyed me as well.

So it appears in the alternate universe Ben and his father were on the island. For how long they didn't say. If it was into Ben's adulthood then I guess he could have had a connection with Rousseau. If not, how did Alex come into existence? There has to be a connection with Ben and Rousseau for her to have been born.

All of the answers are great but I'm not that impressed this season. So far at least.