Menu

Thinking of spring cleaning...

I opened a few windows yesterday to air out the house. In doing so I decided to work time into the next week or so to start cleaning windows. This morning I realized that we have 28 windows and 4 doors! Uuuggg... I think I liked it better when I didn't realize exactly how many windows we have. I just knew it took forever to clean them all.

That job is on my spring cleaning list for next week. I don't love doing it, but I do enjoy the feeling of accomplishment and the light shining in those clean windows. (at least for the few minutes they stay clean :glare:)

I try when cleaning each one to remember how grateful I am to have a house with such great natural light (we have about the same number of windows as you). When I get to the ones with the most fingerprints I try to remember how much higher those fingerprints are than they were last year and how much I will miss those fingerprints when the kids are grown.

Happy Cleaning!

I try when cleaning each one to remember how grateful I am to have a house with such great natural light (we have about the same number of windows as you). When I get to the ones with the most fingerprints I try to remember how much higher those fingerprints are than they were last year and how much I will miss those fingerprints when the kids are grown.

Happy Cleaning!

Thanks so much for the great reminder to be thankful for our little mess makers. They grow too fast!

I would like to start spring cleaning, but I think it would be a good idea to finish unpacking first. :tongue_smilie: I don't know why, but I need someone to work alongside me on this task to get it completed, so I wait for DH every night to get a few boxes unpacked. At this rate it's going to be summer before we are done.

Maybe I'll take up your idea and start with just the windows. And to break it down further, I'll do the downstairs windows first. What do you use to clean the outside of the windows? In the past, I've hosed them down with water, then used windex.

Cindy

Does anyone have a great spring cleaning list that they would like to share? I always forget things. We are having Easter here this year so I would like to have the house pretty cleaned by then. I also want to do a super cleaning of the house before my daughter's graduation party in June so I want a list of everything I need to do.

For one week twice a year, I fantasize about shipping the kids off to school so that I could clean my house from top to bottom without interruption. But then the house would be too quiet and I wouldn't know what to do. So I take their help, and smile at their attempts, and realize that I never learned how to do the things they are learning, or even that they should be done. So we will take one room a weekend to totally overhaul, and we will be spick and span by the end of April!

A checklist? Well, for each room, walls get wiped down, all floors get a good washing and/or rug/carpet cleaning. Junk gets tossed. All cabinets/drawers get a once-through and wiping out, and outsides get a cleaning too. All furniture gets moved. All minor repair work gets done or written on a list with needed supplies. Lights get washed, shades get vacuumed. Window treatments get a washing, windows done inside and out, and wood surrounds get a wiping down too.

All items need to be sorted must be done before trash goes out that week, or I will be backed up and not ready to do another room come the weekend.

Kitchen certainly takes a lot longer if I empty each and every cabinet. However I want to find those things I haven't used in the last year, and get them out.

My reward - a house ready to paint!

What do you use to clean the outside of the windows? In the past, I've hosed them down with water, then used windex.

Inside and out I use a bucket of warm water with a tsp or 2 of Dawn dish liquid, a squeegee and a dry lint free rag. When I moved to the squeegee method, my window washing became much faster and closer to streak free. (Plus it is more fun than Windex and paper towels!)

I love spring cleaning!

When we were kids my mom would make us play "the clean up game". All the jobs would be written on slips of paper and drawn out of a jar, you could then trade jobs if you wanted. We still laugh about how we were duped year after year.:D My mom is an "old school teacher" so not only were we doing the spring cleaning, but we got lessons on how to do it properly.

Yesterday the handyman came to our house and was laughing because my girls were doing the "polish the wood work", like it was the most fun they've ever had. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I guess. :lol:

Here is a book I've wanted for years, maybe this spring I'll treat myself. The introduction is great, she talks about how she quietly wrote the book because she was a professional of some sort in a world of liberated working women and she didn't know what the response would be. The author was raised in a house where domestic jobs got done, and done the correct way.

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Comforts-Science-Keeping-ebook/dp/B0037LY7EE/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1268261620&sr=8-10

Here are a few fun cleaning lists if anyone is interested:

http://images.marthastewart.com/images/content/web/pdfs/2007Q2/la_0407_spring_cleaning.pdf

http://www.eprintablecalendars.com/lists/spring-cleaning/

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ohiocleaningsolutions.com/images/SpringCleaningchekclist.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.ohiocleaningsolutions.com/spring%2520cleanings.htm&usg=__XmaVY_VqjSWhOuhmHkyomUGgi7g=&h=816&w=633&sz=62&hl=en&start=7&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=vGS_PLTpL_KZQM:&tbnh=144&tbnw=112&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dspring%2Bcleaning%2Blist%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DG%26rls%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1