Menu

Help! How can I cement phonics and teach contractions, etc. to ds7?

HappyGrace

He finished Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. He can read about a high second grade level. He is about halfway through book 3 of Explode the Code and it's going fine. But I feel like I want *something* to start introducing other skills to him-what is a syllable, contractions, etc. I'm actually using Happy Phonics and it's going very well, so probably phonics is not what I need; more like contractions, alphabetizing, that type of thing.

I have FLL 1/2 here-worked well with older dd; too much repetition for him. I have CLE LA Light Units 105-110; too much with the diacritical marks, etc. I thought about MCP Plaid Phonics maybe? But I wanted something with more spiral, if possible. And all in one resource would be great-lol! :D

I have no experience with this level-older dd took off reading at a very early age. She did all of FLL 1/2 in a year and it was a great fit for grammar. We did bits and pieces of MCP Plaid Phonics to reinforce a few things that FLL didn't cover, and she was fine. This guy needs a little more incremental and spiral approach. But NOT repetitive. I am really and truly stuck, especially since I don't like "word family" approaches or books that have "all the sounds of a-ai, eigh, ay, etc" together. Even OPGTR uses this approach! Very confusing, I think.

Edited by HappyGrace

PP? (I think I loaned my copy out.)

Blend Phonics w/ my guide, spelling rules, and syllable division rules and exercises, all linked at the end of my how to tutor page. All the sounds are together in one section but separated so you could work on them one at a time. You'll probably want the original Reading Made Easy with Blend Phonics, not the Reader. The reader is designed for remedial students and has more mixing of sounds and words to prevent guessing.

CLE LA! We are halfway through the 200 level and all of that has been covered. The phonics does use some diacritical marks, which is partly why we just skim it and instead use ETC for our phonics instruction. It also includes penmanship if you want to use that - but even if you solely use the grammar/usage/mechanics instruction, I still think it's great (and not too expensive).

It takes time, but Plaid Phonics and other phonics workbooks and books such as Phonics Pathways do cover syllables, alphabetizing, contractions, etc. You maybe resistant to "word families," but it maybe the type of instruction your son needs. Each child needs something different. I found the spelling and phonics workbooks I used with one child did not always meet the needs of the next child, and the burden was upon me to look at all the possibilities. I spend hours finding sites that allow me to look at the pages of a book to see if the book will meet our needs.

Best of luck

Edited by Wildiris
missing letter

WildIris-I am glad I am not alone! I am doing the same thing.

I will take a look at the ones mentioned here so far, thank you. I do have SWR, which I think is like Phonics Road. HATED it with dd, dread even pulling it out again. But it does fit some of my criteria.

Oh, Phonics Road is not what I thought. Wasn't there an older version of this that they used to talk about on here that was so complicated to use, and SWR was the "easier" version to teach?

It does look like what I need, but looks very complicated. And VERY expensive!! Will have to go research the boards on this one to try to find more info.

The style of teaching phonics is the same with SWR and Phonics Road... but so is WRTR, AAS, How To Teach Spelling, Recipe for Reading...

I am sure that there are differences. The Phonics Road is reviewed as much easier to teach. The building codes in level one cover contractions.

Use the tags for your search. :)

OH-I was thinking of WRTR!!!!!!!!! (I knew it had "road" in it!) That was old school, before SWR. I'm so so excited to find maybe an EASIER way to teach SWR style-----WHOOHOO! Off to research :auto:

Quick question first-What level would he be if he is already reading at high 2nd grade level? Would I need to then do two levels right away to get up to where I need to be- because that would be $$$$$$

Tried AAS here too-moved way too slow; had word families :( And I'm thrilled that PR is spiral!!!!!!

Would it be boring for a decent reader to go back to the beginning (level 1)?

My DD is excited about it so far, but we are only on our first week. She is reading at a beginning 5th grade level. I am using it for spelling and grammar. I will let you know if it is too boring. I doubt it, since it is definitely less boring than AAS. ;)