Menu

? on Phonics curriculums

Jen+4dc

Is there a phonics program out there that can be used without buying a bunch of supplemental readers? Besides OPGTR. I have tried OPGTR and SL LA 1 with ds7 and couldn't stand them (sorry Mrs. Wise!:)). My youngest is ready to learn to read (I would've started teaching her already but ds7 wasn't quite there yet and I don't want to start a competition).

I need something very thorough but not too time consuming (she's #4 I'll be schooling;)), and doesn't require me to buy a bunch of readers.

I have all the I See Sam books, the I Can Read It books (SL) plus a *ton* of early reader books (like I said, she's #4) and a great selection from my local library.

What I don't have is a lot of time or money.

Any suggestions??

Elizabeth, do you mean Phonics Pathways? That's one I have been considering (still waiting for the Inter-Library Loan to come through so I can take a look at it). Can I just use my own readers with it? I know it comes with Pathway Readers but how necessary are those to the program?

I have looked at Webster's Speller. I actually tried to use it with your blend phonics with ds7 when he was struggling and although I know it's amazingly thorough, I just can't wrap my brain around it and can't imagine my dd getting it any better than ds did.:confused: Is there anything else you would recommend to go with PP?

Thanks!:D

We're using Happy Phonics, which is a collection of phonics games; read whatever books you have on hand. Monkey loves the games so far! I'm using the Bob Books, and love them for the easy introduction, but you could definitely use whatever is on hand. He's just at the point of making those first blends - it's very exciting!

I don't think Phonics Pathways come with the Pathway Readers. I think they are totally separate curricula. At least I've never seen the two go together.

I use PP and love it. It's an open and go book, no frills, no fuss. You can use any easy readers you have in your home. We use Explode the Code books along with it.

Dancing Bears

Hey, do you have a link for this? I tried to google it and got everything from Native American storefronts to cute little kid t-shirts......:)

Thanks for the link to Ruth Beechik's book, I've ordered it from my library, too.

Happy Phonics has also been on my shortlist, it just seems to have so many parts to it. Is it really as complicated as it seems?

Thanks!!

I have Happy Phonics, Phonics Pathways, and Ruth Beechick's 3 R series. Happy Phonics requires the most prep time...lots of cutting and sorting. If you're short on time, you may prefer Phonics Pathways. With PP, we read a few lines a day, spending about 5-10 min. per day.

HTH!

I just wanted to wish you the best in finding a reading program for her! That was the most important purchase that I made and am so happy that I took the longest to get something that is FINALLY working well! We spent nearly all this year doing a program that my girls seemed to find "no fun" and had no real rewards in it..and finally I purchased a used HoP K-2nd kit and wow..it's amazing how much my girls can read already!!!!!

But I know thats of no help because it's a program that requires little books, cd, cards, workbooks and such. But I wanted to share my thoughts.

We are using Phonics Pathways this year and it's quite good. DD isn't thrilled with it, but she doesn't hate it, so we continue on! My two SILs have both liked it, too. It does depend on your child somewhat. I can't say for sure at this point, but I do suspect that it won't be good for my DS once he starts reading. He does better with more interactive learning.

Happy Phonics has also been on my shortlist, it just seems to have so many parts to it. Is it really as complicated as it seems?

What you get is a whole lot of games - basically a game for every rule - and an instruction book that explains a bit about the games, as well as gives the sequence she suggests for introducing them. I haven't felt like it's complicated, but I never look at more than what we're about to do, and maybe a little beyond that. The games are printed on colored cardstock. Some assembly required: cutting things out, sometimes putting in a brad. Nothing terribly involved. I like to cover the stuff in contact paper so it'll last a bit better, which adds some time, but not much. Monkey is young - 3 1/2 - so we're going through it at an easy-going pace, and it's not a problem at all to keep up with the assembly. I got an accordion folder that I keep them in to keep things together. Plus, because it's all games, getting him to want to do it is seldom a problem. I would think that even if your #4 was devouring the stuff you'd still spend a few days on most of the games, making sure that everything was solid before introducing the next rule/game.

Thanks everyone! One more question: I feel like I dropped the ball with one of my other ds on phonics (didn't cover them as thoroughly as I should have) and his spelling shows it. Now, he may just not be a speller, some people never are, but I can't help but second guess myself....

Does Phonics Pathways/Happy Phonics/Hooked on Phonics cover all the phonemes (is that even the word? I don't remember ever learning phonics growing up, I was one of those kids who just picked up reading around age 4 by being read to). I'm really concerned that it cover phonics are thoroughly and painlessly as possible.

Thanks!! You guys are great!

Is there a phonics program out there that can be used without buying a bunch of supplemental readers? Besides OPGTR. I have tried OPGTR and SL LA 1 with ds7 and couldn't stand them (sorry Mrs. Wise!:)). My youngest is ready to learn to read (I would've started teaching her already but ds7 wasn't quite there yet and I don't want to start a competition).

I need something very thorough but not too time consuming (she's #4 I'll be schooling;)), and doesn't require me to buy a bunch of readers.

I have all the I See Sam books, the I Can Read It books (SL) plus a *ton* of early reader books (like I said, she's #4) and a great selection from my local library.

What I don't have is a lot of time or money.

Any suggestions??

Phonics Pathways

PP teaches everything you need to know.

The old HOP doesn't, I'm not sure about the new HOP, but I'm not a big fan anyway because of all the sight words. If you do use HOP, teach the sight words phonetically.

I haven't seen Happy Phonics.

Thank you. You are, as always, very knowledgable and generous with your skills, I really appreciate that!

PP teaches everything you need to know.

The old HOP doesn't, I'm not sure about the new HOP, but I'm not a big fan anyway because of all the sight words. If you do use HOP, teach the sight words phonetically.

I haven't seen Happy Phonics.

Thanks everyone! One more question: I feel like I dropped the ball with one of my other ds on phonics (didn't cover them as thoroughly as I should have) and his spelling shows it. Now, he may just not be a speller, some people never are, but I can't help but second guess myself....

Does Phonics Pathways/Happy Phonics/Hooked on Phonics cover all the phonemes (is that even the word? I don't remember ever learning phonics growing up, I was one of those kids who just picked up reading around age 4 by being read to). I'm really concerned that it cover phonics are thoroughly and painlessly as possible.

Thanks!! You guys are great!

I'm not sure if my HOP is the new or old, I got it about 5 years ago brand new. There are the sight words, they are flash cards and you play a game to help them learn them. I also like that it has them build the words at different times throughout the books, which is spelling based on the phonics that they have learned up to that time. It seems to be a very thorough program to me, I have been very impressed with how easy it has been to teach them to read.

Anyway, HTH a little. I hope that you can find the program that will be the best for your family, as I know how hard that can be!! :D

I would also suggest that you look at All About Spelling...I know it's a spelling curriculum, but it thoroughly teaches all the phonemes, and you can also get readers to go along with it...it's a little pricey, but we've found it well worth it's price for our ds's spelling and our dd (4.5) is enjoying learning the the sounds as a beginning reader. Just a thought.