Menu

Need Disney World advice

The monorail only actually stops at a handful of resorts. The Grand Floridian, The Contemporary, and the Polynesian (am I missing one?). It is possible to stay anywhere you want and still ride the monorail though...

Disney has a pretty extensive bus system that can take you in between all of the resorts and all the parks (Epcot too).

If you stay off Disney property you may end up parking at the "transportation center" when you want to visit. This is the hub for the buses and the monorail to Epcot & Disney.

I'm planning to take dd (5yo) to Disney / Orlando as a surprise the first week in May. Can anyone recommend some clean, safe accommmodations that are a monorail ride to the Magic Kingdom and close to Epcot? I

Staying on site means that all the resorts are clean and safe. THe differences are in pricing and to a small extent the size of the rooms, and of course the higher priced hotels have a bit more luxurious amenities. But even the "value" hotels (All Stars and Pop Century) are clean, safe and wonderful!

The monorail only travels from Grand Floridian, The Poly and Contempory to Magic Kingdom and EPCOT (all three of these hotels are considered "deluxe" both in amentities and price). Any other hotel you'll have to take a Disney bus (safe and clean) to the parks....and to get to the other two parks (Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios) as well as Downtown Disney you'll also need to take a bus even from the deluxe monorail hotels.

A close by hotel is Beach Club or Yacht Club....you can actually walk to EPCOT or take a short, but fun, boat ride to the International Entrance of EPCOT (near World Showcase and the "countries" portion of EPCOT). To get to any of the other parks you take a bus.

Another hotel close to EPCOT would be Port Orleans (my personal favorite....a moderate as far as price and amenities). Again, buses will take you there as although it is basically across the street it's a long walk through the parking lot to get to the entrance, not recommended.

Since your main criteria was safe and clean....I'd recommend staying onsite. While there are many wonderful places to stay offsite (and we've stayed at many that I'd be happy to recommend if you do want to stay offsite), there are also some that would not fit your criteria....plus because Disneyworld is isolated from "off site" you'll need a vehicle to get to any of the parks as the Disney buses don't go offsite, and there is no public transportation into the parks.

A wonderful place to get totally overwhelmed with all that is Disney is http://www.disboards.com. There are threads with photos of nearly every inch of each of the hotels so that you can see the amenties of each, and that they're all clean and tidy. You can literally read through the posts and learn everything there is to know...or can you simply post questions and get answers just to those questions.

A place to do research where there are pages and pages of details about hotels, dining, parks, rides, and everything else is http://www.allears.net

Those are probably the two sites that I use the most....and we've been to Disney dozens of times, usually for 3+ weeks at a stretch. Disneyholic doesn't even begin to describe our family, lol.

EDITED TO ADD: Just to give you an idea of the distances....it's about 6 miles between parking lots at EPCOT and Magic Kingdom.

Edited by ConnieB