Menu

Need ideas for basic math facts

readwithem

My 18 yo dd and I are tutoring a brother and sister who joined a classical inner city school this year. They both count on their hands. We'd love some ideas - songs, chants, jingles, whatever - to help them learn their basic math facts. Interestingly the older one seems to know his multiplication facts.:glare:

Thanks for any advice you can offer! :)

Peggy Kaye, Games For Math, is practice in game form. You can also modify the classic War card game to focus on addition, subtraction, multiplication: just have each player put down two cards and they have to perform the specific operation before they can win that set of cards.

Depending on how old they are, they might also like picture books like Greg Tang's that feature multiplication techniques, or Loreen Leedy's books on basic operations.

Another really simple one-pick a few (Fact families/number bonds are good for this) write out the full fact, including answer, and hang them up everywhere! This isn't enough by itself, but with more active practice, it does seem to lead to mastery faster for many kids.

Thanks everybody.

We have them for about one-two hours, one afternoon a week. We spend most of that time doing the next day's homework. So sadly we don't have much time to delve into some of the "extras" we might use at home.

I put some of the Kaye books on hold at the library.