Menu

Vegetarian Girls and Guys...

:confused:I am not a vegetarian and I need a recipe for a sick, vegetarian friend.

All I can think of is some lasagna. She's probably had 150 of those since she's been injured.

Anything interesting out there? I don't mind cooking from scratch if I can afford the ingredients.

Oh, and I am bringing a fruit salad, I thought of that much at least.

Sick, or injured? A good veggie soup would be great for a cold or stomach ailment- you could throw some rice in there too.

Is she vegetarian or vegan?

Bean burritos or salad (black beans, corn, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, a bit of pickled jalepeno, spanish rice, etc.)

Mock tuna salad (can of chickpeas drained, add some chopped onion, relish, anything else you'd add to tuna salad)

Spaghetti

those are all pretty easy. HTH

Sick, or injured? A good veggie soup would be great for a cold or stomach ailment- you could throw some rice in there too.

Is she vegetarian or vegan?

Bean burritos or salad (black beans, corn, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, a bit of pickled jalepeno, spanish rice, etc.)

Mock tuna salad (can of chickpeas drained, add some chopped onion, relish, anything else you'd add to tuna salad)

Spaghetti

those are all pretty easy. HTH

injured pretty seriously about two weeks ago, so she can eat anything but is at home healing from plastic surgery.

I may combine Mrs. H's idea with some of your tips.

I just made this the other night, and just enjoyed leftovers about 30 minutes ago!

First I cut up into 1/4 in rounds (and took the skins off) a med. eggplant. Salt it then let it drain for about 30 min. Dab off the salt and moisture with a paper towel, then bake at 425 for about 10 min on the first side, 5 min on the other side. After this, I took a yellow pepper and a red pepper, de-seeded, then roasted them for about 7 min. When they were done I sliced them.

Meanwhile, I took an onion, sliced it thinly and sauteed it (it was actually almost carmelized) with about 4 cloves of minced garlic. When it was done, I added 3 large tomatoes, chopped, the eggplant, the peppers and some sliced zucchini. Finally, I added some fresh chopped basil and some salt and pepper. I may have thrown some thyme in there too - I can't recall. I served it over rice. It was delicious and filling!

Hope that helps!

We made these the other night for the first time. They're getting a big tick.

MILLET, LEEK AND NUT PATTIES- Makes 8-10

250g millet

75g ground nuts

2 tbsp millet flakes

225g finely sliced leeks

2 tbsp quark or cream cheese

1 large egg for binding

25g butter

2 tbsp olive oil

800ml vegetable stock

*1. Put vegetable stock on to heat. Pick over millet carefully, wash and allow to dry. Melt the butter and oil in a heavy bottomed pot and sauté the millet for 2-3 minutes until the grains are coated. Pour on the hot vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, the turn down to minimum. Do not stir during cooking. After 30 mins, the grain should be plump and fluffy. Add raw millet flakes and allow to rest until cool enough to handle.

2. Saute shredded leeks in a little butter and oil until softened, but keep their colour. Add the leeks, nuts, quark and egg to the millet. Adjust seasoning. Mixture should now be easy to form into patties. Dust with millet flakes and rest for 10 min. Fry in olive oil for approximately 5 mins, until golden brown.

:)

Rosie