Menu

Singapore Kindergarten ?

I see that the US Edition Earlybird books I used with my first two kids has gone OOP. Can anybody tell me what I need to buy from the new (Standards?) Kindergarten edition? Basically the Rainbow Resource catalog is confusing me. Textbooks, Activity books, Math readers....what do I need? I'm sure I've seen this question answered before, but my addled brain cannot remember at the moment. :001_huh:

I see that the US Edition Earlybird books I used with my first two kids has gone OOP. Can anybody tell me what I need to buy from the new (Standards?) Kindergarten edition? Basically the Rainbow Resource catalog is confusing me. Textbooks, Activity books, Math readers....what do I need? I'm sure I've seen this question answered before, but my addled brain cannot remember at the moment. :001_huh:

The only thing you *need* is the textbook (or textbooks, as there is an A and a B). In Kindergarten some people skip the A part (as it is pretty easy, and would be more pre-K for some children, but perfectly appropriate for others).

The Activity books involve a good deal of cutting and pasting, and other "crafty-type" activities that every child should engage in to built fine motor-skills, and visual hands on learning to help reinforce the lessons.

That said, *I* could not deal with the Activity Book. I'm just not "Mr Cutty and Pasty" (maybe not Mr Spelly either :tongue_smilie:). So we did lot's of other math activities, and the Activities Book sat unused. Milage may certainly vary, I certainly would not discourage anyone who has an ounce of patience and likes scissors and glue-sticks just because *I* lack the craft-gene. KWIM?

The readers would be a nice "bonus" if you got a set used, or you didn't need to economize, and your child really responds to learning through songs and nursery rhymes. Mine does. But they are not a "make or break" item by any means.

Bill

we finished up EB this past January. I bought the text and workbook for both A and B. The text has "development ideas" at the bottom of each page. As Bill said, the activity book is just extra practice - mainly cut and paste. If I had to do it again, I would have skipped the activity books. My big girl likes cut and paste, so I bought them but she didn't need the extra practice. I completely skipped the math readers.

A is like a PreK level and B is a K level.

HTH!

We used the textbooks and the activity books. My dd5 (then 4) loved the pasting activities (I cut everything out for her one night so we didn't have to fuss with cutting things up during our lessons). She is the type that would rather paste than color something in or draw something, so it was a nice break for her. :001_smile: