Menu

IF you had to send your DC to PS, when would you do it???

Hello,

I was just wondering what you would do if you had no choice and had to send your child to PS, when would be the better years to do so? Would you send them in the elementary years or the middle/high school years?

There is a possibility that if I don't get more children into my home childcare soon, I will have to find a job outside the home. I hate that thought because I really want to be able to homeschool my son still.

My son would be in first grade next year.

I also wonder about the high school years and WILL I be able to keep up and teach him what he needs OR would I want to send him to PS then. That just seems like such a peer influenced age though.

Maybe I am wrong. Just thinking and just curious as to what others thought about the subject.

Well, everyone have a great day!!! :001_smile:

This doesn't really answer your question, but I have to say that I don't think I would be able to homeschool for high school in an involved manner if I hadn't been homeschooling for many years prior. If my son had been in ps in elementary and middle school and then suddenly home for high school, I'd probably freak out and, frankly, I probably wouldn't be able to do it nearly as effectively.

I would say it would be best to start homeschooling at whatever level you feel comfortable teaching without too much preparation. So for me, second grade math was an excellent place to start!

I take it year by year and will evaluate what my kids are needing for each year. It would depend on the maturity of my kids and how well I feel they can adapt to various situations as to whether I would send them in high school or not. I plan on homeschooling the whole way but I am also just starting out and do not know what life has in store for us. I would try to find mentors first, private school next, and public school last resort.

I too do day care so I understand about filling spaces. It is hard.

I think that kids should not start brick and mortar school until at least 4th grade. Give them a good foundation: teach them how to read and write and count in a natural way; let them learn in the context of their own family; enrich their environment with science, nature studies, history, art, music, and foreign language exposure. Teach them your Faith, thoroughly. They will develop more initiative and broader knowledge this way.

I don't believe that middle school is a good time to start brick and mortar school. The social mores are just so strange in middle school. I think that the windows of the best opportunity are either grades 4, 5, or 9.