Menu

Noeo Biology for Highschool?

Going out on a limb asking this here....

My dd going into 10th grade is not a sciency/math girl.

*IF* I used Noeo Biology II with her for 10th grade what could I do to beef it up a bit? She is again, more "immature" than most girls her age, still likes to color etc...and our goals are for her to dual enroll at our local JC in about 11th grade.

I know for her, anything like Apologia or BJU etc...would be too difficult for her. I was thinking of having her do it with her sister going into 7th grade and perhaps getting a text or book for her to read also.

I'm not sure about the NOEO Biology, but did you check out my thread about "not rigorous Biology"? There are some great ideas in there that you may be able to use with your dd!

Yes, I did see that, and actually I was going to use some of the books with the Noeo, just trying to save some $$ by combining them :),

OR, maybe i'll use the books and DVD from your thread along with my 7th grader and combine them that way

Apologia science courses are about as easy as they come, for the high school level, has been our experience. Admittedly, we have seen only about five or fewer products to evaluate.

what about labs? Can we just watch online versions instead of disection?

I too have heard some great things about Apologia, and again, some negative. I also wanted her to have some human anatomy which Apologia does not have

Apologia's "advanced biology" course, from the website, is a course in human anatomy and physiology. You can read the table-of-contents at their website.

There are online websites and commercial software for "virtual dissection". I haven't dealt with that in a few years, so you'll need to search for what currently is available.

I'm pretty "by the book" for calling something a lab course or not. Perhaps others here, who have done "virtual labs" will post how they presented this on their transcripts.

what about labs? Can we just watch online versions instead of disection?

I too have heard some great things about Apologia, and again, some negative. I also wanted her to have some human anatomy which Apologia does not have

Apologia science courses are about as easy as they come, for the high school level, has been our experience. Admittedly, we have seen only about five or fewer products to evaluate.

I disagree. Apologia is pretty rigorous---though granted probably not very WTM rigorous. The books may be 'easy' to read through, but the content is challenging. Have you looked at Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum's Biology course? Generally, the PAC materials cover all the bases but truly are a lot easier than Apologia. Power Basics? Standard Deviants? Biology 101?

As I noted explicitly, dh and I examined 4-5 competing products. I did not list in this thread what they were.

Please don't "pounce" ! Thank you.

I disagree. Apologia is pretty rigorous---though granted probably not very WTM rigorous. The books may be 'easy' to read through, but the content is challenging. Have you looked at Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum's Biology course? Generally, the PAC materials cover all the bases but truly are a lot easier than Apologia. Power Basics? Standard Deviants? Biology 101?

As I noted explicitly, dh and I examined 4-5 competing products. I did not list in this thread what they were.

Please don't "pounce" ! Thank you.

I wasn't pouncing--sorry that it appeared that way! :001_huh: I just truly disagree that Apologia is easy----it was very challenging for my dd, who is a good student. Reading through it myself, I found the material challenging myself because of the detail that is gone into. I also have the Ace Biology Paces---and trust me---WAAY easier, but also adequate. Just not as deep and technical as Apologia.

If you are talking about the other 'easy Biology' thread---sorry. I haven't been to that one so I don't know what else you and your dh have evaluated. ;)

I wasn't pouncing--sorry that it appeared that way! :001_huh: I just truly disagree that Apologia is easy----it was very challenging for my dd, who is a good student. Reading through it myself, I found the material challenging myself because of the detail that is gone into. I also have the Ace Biology Paces---and trust me---WAAY easier, but also adequate. Just not as deep and technical as Apologia.

If you are talking about the other 'easy Biology' thread---sorry. I haven't been to that one so I don't know what else you and your dh have evaluated. ;)

No problem ! :)

I haven't listed anywhere what we have examined. One product was, in fact the ACE curriculum -- which, to be honest, we consider so off-the-wall bad as not even to deem a choice. (We also had a friend who quit the company, because she disliked the company and product so strongly.)

Opinions often are subjective, of course.

None of my children are science whizzes. Our Apologia forays honestly ended in thinking the products insufficiently rigorous. I need to stop responding to threads about Apologia science, nonetheless, in that Apologia is just like Saxon math in polarizing opinions. Few middle-ground opinions.

No problem ! :)

I haven't listed anywhere what we have examined. One product was, in fact the ACE curriculum -- which, to be honest, we consider so off-the-wall bad as not even to deem a choice. (We also had a friend who quit the company, because she disliked the company and product so strongly.)

Opinions often are subjective, of course.

None of my children are science whizzes. Our Apologia forays honestly ended in thinking the products insufficiently rigorous. I need to stop responding to threads about Apologia science, nonetheless, in that Apologia is just like Saxon math in polarizing opinions. Few middle-ground opinions.

Hey---you're opinion counts! :001_smile: And honestly, if you say your kids aren't science whizzes and they do well in Apologia----sounds like they're doing better than you think! My son LOVES science, and really does well and grasps concepts---but he bombed pretty much every single Apologia General test. Go figure :tongue_smilie:

I would not consider this a high school biology course. I felt that the level II courses were too easy for my then middle-school son. While I love NOEO courses, I do believe that they are anywhere near high school level. I would use the level II course for dd9.

:iagree: My 4th grader is doing Noeo Bio II. It's just great for him, but IMO, would need so much additional *somethings* to make it HS level that you would be essentially writing your own curriculum.

Well I still have no clue as what to use for Biology.

I know BJU and Abeka are out. Thinking about ACE and Biology 101 with the other listed sources on another thread.

I really REELY value 4Wildberries opinion since I have "known" her since I started homeschooling almost 4 years ago, and we seem to have very VERY similar likes and dislikes. One other thing I don't like about Apologia Biology is the lack of human anatomy etc...

And after seeing the General Science I know it get very wordy. And the lack of photos etc., is a turn off.

I have read wonderful reviews on another board about ACE's science in general.

Seems like the search for the perfect curriculum never ends! :)

Well I still have no clue as what to use for Biology.

I know BJU and Abeka are out. Thinking about ACE and Biology 101 with the other listed sources on another thread.

I really REELY value 4Wildberries opinion since I have "known" her since I started homeschooling almost 4 years ago, and we seem to have very VERY similar likes and dislikes. One other thing I don't like about Apologia Biology is the lack of human anatomy etc...

And after seeing the General Science I know it get very wordy. And the lack of photos etc., is a turn off.

I have read wonderful reviews on another board about ACE's science in general.

Seems like the search for the perfect curriculum never ends! :)

Why thank you friend!! :D FWIW---I am using the Ace with my non-science dd next year and after looking at Timberdoodle all day yesterday, i'm pretty sure I will use Bio101 to visually supplement. But I think I told you this already, huh? :001_huh:

I ordered the Biology 101, so it should be here in a few days. I want to see what their human component is like! I'm hoping it's thorough enough to be able to be counted! DD will also be reading some of the books listed in the other thread, and doing virtual dissections and lab reports from those. Hopefully that will be good enough to count for a credit. I did read the Bio. 101 has info. on how to make it worth a credit, so I'll follow that if it looks plausible for dd.