Menu

?? So you think you want to learn science- galore park

LeLe

Does anyone have experience with this program? The only way to order it I can find is from UK. Is this correct??

Looking for 11 - 12 year old ( end of 6th grade) new to HSing from public school. "A" student in science so far(of course there is limited science in our local schools through 8th grade)

Feedback please for this newbie....thank you!!!

We're using it right now, and *I* like it a lot. It's a good solid, traditional sort of science program. Lots of informative illustrations. Review questions at the end of each section will sometimes use matching, or open-ended questions, or ask the student to draw a diagram.

That said, my dd doesn't like it much, so once we finish this level, we won't purchase again. She really wants something more hands-on and investigative where science is concerned, and I can understand that. She'd also rather pick one topic and dive into it deeply, whereas this, like most science texts, gives a broad overview in one year. I don't regret buying it, though, because I think that broad overview is doing us some good. But next year we're going to dive into Chemistry, because that's what she's interested in.

Hope that helps a bit!

I looked at GP, but decided on Singapore Interactive Science instead. There are tons of doable labs, and a lab workbook that goes with the text to help you along. (Some labs we can't do, so we just skip them.) I'm fortunate to work at a university, and have friends in the science department there, so they loan me equipment, which I realize many can't do. But, still, there is plenty to do. There is also a theory workbook, too. I like having the extra resources.

You can see them here:

http://www.singaporemath.com/Interactive_Science_s/68.htm

I'm using this with my 13 year old, but a sciency 12 year old could handle it. There is a good bit of math involved, though, but don't let that scare you.

If you want more reading and less hands-on, it seems like the Galore Park would be a good option.

If you want more reading and less hands-on, it seems like the Galore Park would be a good option.

Actually, I think if you're willing to bite the bullet and spend the money for the teacher CD, there's a lot more hands-on labs, etc, to support the textbook. We're using the book alone though. (And ds is doing unrelated labs with the Thames & Kosmos Core Science kit for middle schoolers -- I really needed Everything in a Box, lol...)

Actually, I think if you're willing to bite the bullet and spend the money for the teacher CD, there's a lot more hands-on labs, etc, to support the textbook. We're using the book alone though. (And ds is doing unrelated labs with the Thames & Kosmos Core Science kit for middle schoolers -- I really needed Everything in a Box, lol...)

The CDs. I blocked that out of my memory. They are a terrible, expensive temptation!

We used the first one with great results, then took a break to do more earth science which bored her to tears. Then she wanted to concentrate more on life science because she saw a text in a bookstore. Found a super cheap used one. After doing that for a few months, she ditched it in order to read The Evolution Book by Sara Stein. Now, she's begging me to buy the second science book from Galore Park. She wants to read a couple more Stein books, and I'd like to do McHenry's Brain. If I can entice her with a dissection, she'll probably let me stick that in there.

So...long story short. She loved the first and wants the second. We'll probably get it in the summer, depending on how long it takes to do McHenry's book.

Loving this feedback! I checked the Horrible site and they don't have it in stock- so guess it would still have to come from the UK.

If we do this, we will still be looking to find a marine science "course" I have looked at the Apologia suggested to me on another thread and she really!!!! wants to do it. You need to complete their biology course first as a prereq though. So wondering if doing both the Galore program and Apologia is TOO much or if the have conflicting info??? She could possibly do the galore program over the summer and then do apologia biology in the fall for 7th grade and the marine science one for 8th? Or if there are other marine science curriculum's please let me know. It is the only one I have found so far.

Once again though, the reason for looking at Galore is to obtain a solid science foundation which I believe her to need due to lack of science curriculum in our NC schools. (elem - middle)

Thanks again for the insight and any additional advice on this post!!

...so guess it would still have to come from the UK....

I've ordered from Book Depository a number of times with good luck. Be sure to check both the .com *and* the .co.uk sites, since sometimes an item will be out of stock or more expensive at one website than the other.